Frontline or Camping DD Hammock??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I have two travel hammocks from DD which I've used twice along with my son who is 10.

On both occasions his sleeping bag was a little damp on the outside from condensation whereas mine was absolutely dry.

I suspect it may be down to sleeping position; if you lie with you're head to the side facing the fabric then chances are you're going to get condensation if it's cool enough.

I'll be putting his bag in a bivi next time to avoid this.

Cheers

Tom

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've reviewed the Frontline hammock here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuNBXdpPaQ

Personally, I didn't get on too well with the travel hammock. I don't really see the need to put a hammock on the floor and use it as a bivi.

The Frontline is great. It goes back to the breathable material and has the zip on both sides. Ever had a wasp in your mossie net, then you'll know the benefits of this.

Cheers,

Pablo.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
i used my travel hammock for the first time the other night. After using one i now wish i had bought the frontline :(

First and only night using it i ripped the net (on the side with no zip, my own fault, was using it as a seat and didnt realise i was actually sitting on the netting) although in a goodish way i now get to modify it and put a zip on there (like the frontline!)

Also woke up and the inside was wet, i was sleeping in a sleeping bag half open and lying on my back, some how underneath my sleeping bag ended up wet by the morning. (only 4 hours, so would hate to think what it would be like after a full nights sleep)

I shall hopfully be out again this weekend so shall see if anything changes

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
First and only night using it i ripped the net (on the side with no zip, my own fault, was using it as a seat and didnt realise i was actually sitting on the netting) although in a goodish way i now get to modify it and put a zip on there (like the frontline!)

That's what I have done to mine:D

ddmoddedhammock8u.jpg

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi i cant beleve i have bought the travel hammock and they have condensation problems..
if i was told about this i wouldnt have bought it....shogun

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
As above, only some people have reported condensation problems with the Travel model - loads get on fine with it. I'm one of the latter - I've used it all year round (-4C being the coldest) in all kinds of weather and have always been comfortable. I've used the inflatable pad in the pocket setup successfully without condensation, but now use one of Wanderinstar's Coccoons which I find great. I agree with one of the posters above that condensation issues might be more down to individual sleeping position rather than the kit/ material itself. Give the Travel a good go and try to ensure that it's not rigged too close to the underside of your tarp - I found that your breath could condense on the tarp surface and then wet your sleeping bag. However this is easily remedied and if you've got a decent sized tarp (at least 2.5m x 2.5m) then you should have plenty of coverage without having to be close to the tarp - I prefer rigging my tarp on the diagonal if it's peeing down anyway. Have fun and I hope your experiments are enjoyable and comfortable! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

May 28, 2005
D
I would like to buy a (DD) Hammock, too, but I wonder if I could sleep well in it? :confused:

The first thing is, I read that you have to strain the DD hammocks very much to lie in an almost horizontal position but in this case your shoulders are pressed together so that it´s not comfortable anymore.
Another thing is that I´m 1,90 m tall and I wonder if I fit in a DD Hammock with it´s 2,70m length (especially if it´s strained much) and sleep well in it.

So I´m looking for your EXPERIENCES in SLEEPING in the DD Hammocks.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
As above, only some people have reported condensation problems with the Travel model - loads get on fine with it. I'm one of the latter - I've used it all year round (-4C being the coldest) in all kinds of weather and have always been comfortable. I've used the inflatable pad in the pocket setup successfully without condensation, but now use one of Wanderinstar's Coccoons which I find great. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Wild Thing: The non breathability of the material caused the condensation problem that left me with a wet sleeping bag in the morning.

It is obviously different for different people. However what I can't really understand is how sleeping in a bivvi bag in the hammock will make a difference.

Follow my logic.... The bottom of the Travel hammock is of waterproof material.....

1. The bottom of a bivvi bag is waterproof material, but we would sleep inside one of those on the ground with a sleeping bag.
2. A sleeping mat is waterproof, but we would put a bag on that and sleep in it.
3. A simple ground sheet is waterproof, and we would put a bag on that and sleep in it.

So what's the difference? The only difference that I can see is that in a hammock there is free cold air under the hammock base material which could cause condensation inside against the warmth of your body in the bag. To cure the condensation problem that exists for some people surely the answer would be a mat between the two layers of the hammock base, or an underblanket?

Now, condensation on the underside of the tarp is a different matter. But that happens with a tent too.

Rod

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I would like to buy a (DD) Hammock, too, but I wonder if I could sleep well in it? :confused:

The first thing is, I read that you have to strain the DD hammocks very much to lie in an almost horizontal position but in this case your shoulders are pressed together so that it´s not comfortable anymore.
Another thing is that I´m 1,90 m tall and I wonder if I fit in a DD Hammock with it´s 2,70m length (especially if it´s strained much) and sleep well in it.

So I´m looking for your EXPERIENCES in SLEEPING in the DD Hammocks.

I've slept a lot of times in my DD Travel and usually like a baby - however I'm a mere 5'8'' (sorry don't know new money). It's true that DDs should be rigged as flat as possible, but I think the key to getting horizontal is lying on the diagonal in the hammock - a flatter rig helps you achieve this. From what I recall of the product blurb on their website the hammocks are suitable for folks over 6' (err 2 m??) but I can't testify to that.

I think it also depends on how you like to sleep - I don't like sleeping on my back but manage fine on my side (kind of foetal-like) when my hammock's rigged properly. Some people can't get on with hammocks no matter what; some people seem to prefer them to their beds at home. I'm closer to the second group, but I won't be replacing my bed with my hammock!

paulhereford

Mar 15, 2009
Hereford
I've reviewed the Frontline hammock here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuNBXdpPaQ

Personally, I didn't get on too well with the travel hammock. I don't really see the need to put a hammock on the floor and use it as a bivi.

The Frontline is great. It goes back to the breathable material and has the zip on both sides. Ever had a wasp in your mossie net, then you'll know the benefits of this.

Cheers,

Pablo.
I agree totally with Pablo...the DD Frontline is a fabulous hammock. I ordered the Travel hammock but fortunately it was out of stock at the time and I was offered the Frontline as an alternative at the same price.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Having bought a FL hammock to replace my ageing Hennessy I am very impressed. I have sewn on four loops to the welt like strip that goes around it and attached shock cords to them. When you tie the cord off on the tarp corners it really opens the hammock up. It is like the spreader cords on the Hennessy. I will try and post a picture sometime.

paulhereford

Mar 15, 2009
Hereford
Having bought a FL hammock to replace my ageing Hennessy I am very impressed. I have sewn on four loops to the welt like strip that goes around it and attached shock cords to them. When you tie the cord off on the tarp corners it really opens the hammock up. It is like the spreader cords on the Hennessy. I will try and post a picture sometime.

That sounds like a great idea.....looking forward to seeing the picture.

It is obviously different for different people. However what I can't really understand is how sleeping in a bivvi bag in the hammock will make a difference.

Follow my logic.... The bottom of the Travel hammock is of waterproof material.....

1. The bottom of a bivvi bag is waterproof material, but we would sleep inside one of those on the ground with a sleeping bag.
2. A sleeping mat is waterproof, but we would put a bag on that and sleep in it.
3. A simple ground sheet is waterproof, and we would put a bag on that and sleep in it.

So what's the difference? The only difference that I can see is that in a hammock there is free cold air under the hammock base material which could cause condensation inside against the warmth of your body in the bag. To cure the condensation problem that exists for some people surely the answer would be a mat between the two layers of the hammock base, or an underblanket?

Now, condensation on the underside of the tarp is a different matter. But that happens with a tent too.

Rod

Another difference is the Bivvy bag although being waterproof it is breathable, which means it allows water vapour such as sweat and your breath to escape into the atmosphere, the waterproof covering on the DD Travel hammock is not breathable, which means that the water vapour from your sweat and breathing has no where to go, so it condenses where it is and forms puddles, similar to single glazing in our homes..

Hope that helps

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
[/IMG]
That sounds like a great idea.....looking forward to seeing the picture.

Pictures as promised.

I have set this rig up in my garden to tweak the set up.

This picture shows the hammock set up as if I was about to go to sleep. The spreaders are shock cord so when I am in it they do stretch as they are tied off on the corners of my tarp.
016.jpg
[/IMG]

A closer view of one side. The hammock is really opened up with them.
015.jpg
[/IMG]

The loops were made with simple cloth tape. This one was sewn on with a sewing machine but a couple of other ones I did by hand. It is sewn into the canvas type welt that goes around the hammock.
004.jpg
[/IMG]

I tied on a couple of loops to the underblanket so that it could hang off the spreader loops on the hammock.
005.jpg
[/IMG]

As for tying off the underblanket at the ends I rigged up a set up so that the shock cords do not go outside the tarp. Just to try and stop water seeping in. it is a bit like using the Karibeener as a drip point.
020-1.jpg
[/IMG]

A close up of the drip point. It works surprisingly well.
012.jpg
[/IMG]

Normally during the day I drop two of the spreaders down on one side to give me room to move around.
017.jpg
[/IMG]

Cheers

George

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Just to add my two-pence worth into the travel vs frontline debate. I have had a DD Travel hammock now for a few months (the 2010 model with thedouble zips and velcroed thermarest under-pocket. Admittedly I've only had the opportunity to use it three times so far, but in each case I had a lovely night's sleep; very comfy and no condensation at all.

I had a larg-ish tarp about 5 feet above me. The coldest was the first time. It was just after all the snow we've had this year and the temps were still fairly low, about -5 on my little max/min thermometer at some point during the night. It was a bit cold. I woke up at about 5am feeling pretty cold, but then I was only in underpants and T-shirt so that's probably to be expected really. I had a thermarest inserted between the bottom layers of the hammock.

I have also slept on the ground with it (under the same tarp rigged on the ground with walking poles). Their was quite a bit of condensation on the inside of the tarp by morning (had it anchored right down to the ground to keep the draft out) and some had fallen on to the top of the DD, but I was using it as a bivvy (i.e. I had my sleeping bag and thermarest between the two waterproof layers so the sleeping bag was kept dry by the DD because it's waterproof. No condensation on that occasion either, but just out of interest I tried pulling the DD right over my head to completely cover myself, and condensation built up pretty quickly then. All ok though, as long as I kept my head out through the side of the velcroed pockets.

If I'd had a Frontline during the ground sleeping situation, I'm wondering if the the condensation dripping off the inside of the tarp would have gone through the Frontline and wet my sleeping bag. I can't be sure, but it seems likely as it's not waterproof.

Hope that helps with your decision making. Good luck.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the DD travel hammock and find it a fantastic item. No condensation and a dry night. I use an underblanket and an open sleeping bag over me though.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ive done probably 60 nights in my dd travel.
Ive been sweaty twice. It comes down to being careful about ventilation temperature regulation.
It is really an occasional use bathtub groundsheet with bug netting/ hammock.
I have used it as a survival bag and got damp.
If you sweat at night, dont bother. If you don't then itll be fine.
I have done many nights in it in scottish rainstorms with a lightweight down bag and on multi day backpacks and ive kept my bag dry throughout.
It does need a groundsheet under the hammock though to avoid damage to the fabric and regular replacement. A small tear could result in things going bump in the night. This will be the same for the dd frontline too.
Personally, I like the backup the waterproof material gives me.
Also, if you use a ccf pad, the frontline will not be breathable anymore.

Hi there everyone, wish I'd seen this thread before buying my Travel Hammock! I must be one of those sleepers...a heavy, sweaty, breathing type! I've used my hammock several times now and always wake up with the underside of my sleeping being wet (or whatever I'm wearing if used as a top quilt)!!

I normally use my tarp in the diamond or basic A-frame set-up and leave at least a foot of space between the hammock and tarp ridgeline. I prefer to use the sleeping bag as a top quilt making it easier to wrestle with in a hammock! I use a therm-a-rest roll mat (not the self-inflating type) in between the layers.

I haven't suffered a cold night yet - but then again my winter set-up does consist of - wool socks, thermals, fleece lined trousers, t-shirt, fleece, down jacket, buff, balaclava & beanie if needed! Not forgetting the gloves!

I went with the Travel version so that I could use it as a bivi option if needed but as it happens I normally carry a second tarp (one of those cheap £2.99 jobs) to use over a fire or as a ground sheet if needed.

I'm thinking of going down the underquilt route to hopefully a) reduce the amount of warm weather clothing needed or b) reduce the amount of condensation.

I'm thinking that if the air on the underside of the hammock is not moving and is warmer then I may get less condensation.

My question is - have any of the guys and gals on here who have suffered condensation in the Travel hammock adopted the use of an underquilt and did you find it worked in reducing the amount of condensation?

I doesn't bother me too much at the moment but it would be a pain in the rear end on a multi day trip or if I were using an expensive down bag!!

peatbog

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2008
paisley, Scotland
What a lot of nonsense about condensation in a hammock, as soon as you put an insulation mat in any hammock your going to suffer from condensation, unless of course your insulation mat is breathable.
The travel hammock on the ground under a tarp will shield the dampness from below, and the midges from above.When you can't find trees.

Peatbog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE