Forests in Yorkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

I'm posting again about something connected to my previous thread about camping permission. Does anyone no of any good quiet forests in West Yorkshire where I can practice bushcraft skills. It doesn't have to be one where you know you are allowed to camp and light fires because with my new found info and can find out for myself ;) . However I would like it to be quiet (already said that I know) and with a good mix of trees.

Any help would be useful because everywhere I know is full of people. :(

Cheers.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ed W said:
Any help would be useful because everywhere I know is full of people. :( .

Welcome to the 21st Century UK my friend.... :(

You should try finding a nice quiet place down here in the south east!!!!

I'm afraid I can't help you but I'm sure one of our Yorkshire members can :D

cheers,

Bam.

fungy

Jun 15, 2005
york
evening ed, have you tried caley craggs there is a wooded area there that might be suitable. It's located above Otley (above the A660 Otley-Leeds road) :) great place for bouldering if you are also into rock climbing, for more info go to your local climbing shop and look in the yorkshire gritstone bouldering guide,page 138.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks fungy

I've been up there before you're right about there being good climbing.

The woods there are good but its quite hard to find a time to go when its not busy. There is a good range of trees though :rolleyes: .

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Chevin forest is quite nice, , my wife and I have used it to collect tinder and pine resin before. I don't think you'd get away with lighting a fire in there though. It is just big enough I guess that you could bivy overnight undisturbed. I like the little bit of greenery in Adel Wood for my evening jog/walk, but there's no way I'd take any gear into that place. Prefer the urban woods for walking really. I've even seen some particularly optimistic folk carrying what looked like fishing gear into Adel Wood - who knows what they did with it! (some kind of wildlife survey???) If you know of somewhere fairly remote and wooded for practicing bushcraft in WYorkshire please share the secret.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE