for JD

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
herded from the road on Monday night:

P0010_110711.jpg

P0009_110711.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It looks very much like a Viperine snake, which is a common European snake in the same family as our Grass snake. If this was found in the UK, it is an escapee, and it is actually a blessing it got killed, as they will readily mate with Grass snakes. Grass snakes occur in South Eastern Europe with yellow lines running down them like that, but we certainly don't get them in the UK. The strength of the lines and patternation in that snake though, certainly point to a Viperine.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks a bit like the grass snake I saw here but mine didnt have the lines down the back.

Viperines are just like Grass snakes, but with bolder black markings and the two yellow lines. Sometimes the black dorsal markings form a zig zag, which is why they got the name Viperine, as they resembled the pattern adders and other European vipers have.

I don't suppose the body is still there is it? I'd love to get a DNA sample.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never knew that - it was alive when I moved it along.

It wasn't on the side of the road later, but i'll have a good look a some point.

I'll keep my eyes open for more.

What is the best thing to do if I find more, ignore, kill (after positive id) or deliver to JD?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Never knew that - it was alive when I moved it along.

It wasn't on the side of the road later, but i'll have a good look a some point.

I'll keep my eyes open for more.

What is the best thing to do if I find more, ignore, kill (after positive id) or deliver to JD?

If it wasn't dead then, then it was definately close to it judging by the state of it. Looks emaciated and in a right state.

Best thing to do if you see one again is to just leave it and get some good pictures. I doubt there will be a population of them and it is probably just an escaped pet. That one certainly won't be going far or mating again. If you find a dead one, I'd really be grateful if you could bag it and send it to me. I'll re-imburse any costs.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
and escapee would explain why it was tame.
Not the first like this I've seen, so I'll keep adn eye out for then.

Probably more a case of it being near dead than tame. It really does look in a bad way there.

It sounds like there may be an isolated population there then? Interesting.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Great idea. With the young being born in late August/September, that will be perfect to attract them and get an idea of what exactly is happening around there.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It wouldn't be the first time an foreign invader survives and populates an area. I particularly like the scorpions in the Portsmouth area supposedly. You spot them at night on walls with a UV light I believe. They kinda glow spookily.

Its not good if a native species hybridises out of existence but if two apparently different species do mate are they truly separate? IIRC from my biology GCSE lessons separate species are unable to breed together but I guess that is not true considering ligers exist in some zoos.

Are there many other cases of two different snakes interbreeding? Anyway good luck in checking this viperine out JD. It will be interesting to find out what you find out about them, whether there is a population there or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE