Food for a week in a PLCE Side Pocket - Paul Kirtley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be ultra-lightweight myself if I had to eat spam - whatever container it came in!

Seriously though; if you normally eat a decent diet and take care of yourself properly a week or so of junk food won't do you much harm, the alternatives require time and expense and will never be as compact and light;
you pays your money and takes your choice, eh?.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Good video. Would personally add some hot chocolate sachets, trade some chorizo for jerky, swap out some pasta for really cheap instant noodles and exchange the guinea pig food breakfast for porridge, cornmeal and a bannock mix. As the man says, variety is good and each to their own tastes.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've never met the bloke but I like his videos, no BS, well made, well presented. The food is pretty much common sense for those who've been hiking/playing in the woods for some time, but for newcomers they make perfect starting points. Keep them coming PK :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Spam is now available in lightweight plastic packs, they must be aiming to tap into the ultra-lightweight crowd :)

Well it comes in single serve foil pouches (the commercial version of the MRE ones) And it also comes in different flavors now as well as a "Lite" version with less fat and/or salt

I'd be ultra-lightweight myself if I had to eat spam - whatever container it came in!.....

LOL. One of my favorites. Whether it's fried as an entrée on its own, diced and added to scrambled eggs, or to macaroni & cheese, or to baked beans. Also a sure menu item to lease my grandkids :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Spam is now available in lightweight plastic packs, they must be aiming to tap into the ultra-lightweight crowd :)

As a source of long life protein, it's a useful one. Are the foil pouches available in the UK? My googling just gave me US sources. They seem willing to ship it, but I don't really want to have to import it from the US...

Good video. Would personally add some hot chocolate sachets, trade some chorizo for jerky, swap out some pasta for really cheap instant noodles and exchange the guinea pig food breakfast for porridge, cornmeal and a bannock mix. As the man says, variety is good and each to their own tastes.

Adding a hot chocolate sachet per day is a really useful idea. I've been going through all the single sachets that my local super market sells to work out the best ones. Simple easy warm drink before bed that doesn't give you a shot of caffeine.

Well it comes in single serve foil pouches (the commercial version of the MRE ones) And it also comes in different flavors now as well as a "Lite" version with less fat and/or salt

LOL. One of my favorites. Whether it's fried as an entrée on its own, diced and added to scrambled eggs, or to macaroni & cheese, or to baked beans. Also a sure menu item to lease my grandkids :)

Just leaves the question of where to find them in the UK.

Re cheese, many of the continental hard cheeses keep really well without refrigeration. I tend to use Grana Padano, or Parmesan with some light crackers for a lunch. Not the highest calories per gram out there, but it's a simple light meal, esp with a hot mug of soup at lunch time.

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As a source of long life protein, it's a useful one. Are the foil pouches available in the UK? My googling just gave me US sources. They seem willing to ship it, but I don't really want to have to import it from the US...

Just leaves the question of where to find them in the UK......

I don't know to be honest. But not only do they now sell Spam in the single serve foil pouches, but also corned beef (although I can't find a link) and have done tuna and salmon for quite a long time now.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Re cheese, many of the continental hard cheeses keep really well without refrigeration. I tend to use Grana Padano, or Parmesan with some light crackers for a lunch. Not the highest calories per gram out there, but it's a simple light meal, esp with a hot mug of soup at lunch time.

Julia

When I mentioned the macaroni and cheese, I was referring to the store bought prepackaged dry type like these

Just add milk (can substitute powdered milk in camp) to the noodles and powdered cheese sauce andf simmer about 8 minutes. My grandson and me like to add diced spam to that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Summer sausage is also a good meat for packing. It comes in packages of from a half pound (8 ounces) up to 1 & 1/2 pounds and will keep without refrigeration for several years as long as it isn't opened.

after opening and slicing

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
In the UK maybe check out the Tesco American shelves, I seem to remember seeing that the last time I was in there.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not sure where this one should go and have opted for kit chatter rather than camp & carry or grub.

Paul Kirtley has a wee video showing how he can pack enough food for a week in PLCE side pocket.

Here is the link.

He is a fan of Smash and Tuna which has always been a feature of my walking food since I was a kid. :)

Smash and Tuna is my favourite but I remember my brother in law a chef turning his nose up in disgust on our first trip with tuna and potato smash

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The sliced pics of the summer sausage look like the large salami from lidl

Closer. At least to a small as a large salami is about 7 inch diameter (big enough for a slice to make a sandwich) whereas the summer sausage is only about 2 inch diameter. And again, salami is spicier. And the cure is a bit different
Salami = Italian origin
Summer Sausage = German-American origin

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I've seen a few salamis that small, but not many, and they're usually it semi hard? Like a peperoni. Most salami here is about the diameter of a bolgna, and also soft like any other deli meat.

That is however about the right size for a summer sausage. As for the spice bit, well generally summer sausage has no spice taste whatsoever (apart from salt)

Like I said though, it's difficult to explain the difference without actually tasting it firsthand.

In any case, if the salami is cryovac packed (as the summer sausage) it may last just as well in the field? It usually isn't here, but if it is there, it would be a matter of whichever you personally prefer; subject to availability of course.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Ikea do a really good and very tasty elk salami. I took one with me to Greenland last year and was very impressed. It has the advantage of being slightly lower in fat than some of the usual pig-based salamis. This might worry the calorie counters who want a bigger hit for their outdoor antics but, actually, we probably more calories than we really need and, over a week, you're not going to feel that depleted by going for a lower fat and, arguably, healthier option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE