Flower Identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

There are 2 books which stand out from the crowd when it comes to identyfing wildflower.

The first one is:
The Wild Flower Key by Francis Rose

This is more of a botanical book in so far as it uses a key to aid in the identification of flower species from scratch. Although to start it seems quite daunting to the uninitiated, it really is probably the best book of its kind.

The second book is:
Collins Pocket Guide: Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe by Richard Fitter et al

Fitter is a bit of a guru when it comes to idents (both on flowers and other areas as well, particularly his tree books) and this book is very easy to use for the novice.

I use both these books on a daily basis when out in the field as I like to cross reference between the 2.

Does anyone have any others they can recommend?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi Jamie,
I dont have anything to compare this to, but the 'Readers Digest Field guide to wild flowers' is an excellent reference guide. Most of the flowers mentioned are described in their context as 'yesteryear' medicinal [or otherwise] purposes.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi

I reckon that probably the most complete book is: New Flora of the British Isles by Clive Stace. The second edition was published in 1997 with somewhere around 1100 pages. it gets a bit technical and can be hard to use but if you're confident using plant keys then it's excellent. If it grows in the UK you'll probably find it in here.

A good photo field guide is: Wild Flowers of of Britian and Europe by Bob Press and Bob Gibbons published in '93 by new holland. It's much more user friendly than the new flora. The photos are very good too.

Any other favorites anyone?

George

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
The one I use most is the Collins Nature Guide: Wild Flowers of Britain and Europe, by Lippert and Podlech.
Aside from the small size, it's key feature for me is that it's organised by flower colour. So if it's a yellow flower you're trying to ID, you flick through the pages witht the yellow splodge till the photo looks like your flower and then you can check the rest of the details. Of course there's some flowers which don't quite fit this scheme, at least to my slightly colour blind eyes, but it doesn't take too long tow rok through the options.

I like it that much I've got two copies, one of which lives in the car..

Justin

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Mr Mears and wild food expert (ethnopaleobotanist) Gordon Hillman (those of you who have done woodlore courses will have meet him) are working on a book together which (if it lives up to its promise) will be the wild food bible for Britian - when will it be ready? Your guess is as good as mine they've been at it for at least 3 years thus far so dont hold your breath.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
In my work as an ecologist, I tend to use 'The Wild Flowers of the British Isles' by Garrard and Streeter (good illustrations but basic text) or Cassel's 'Wild Flowers of GB and N Europe' as desk based id guides together with Stace and CTW. The trouble with Stace is you tend to need all parts of the plant (flowers and fruits etc) to successfully use the keys!

In the field I tend to use Rose, CTW, and the Plant Crib by Rich and Jermy.

I am looking forward to the publication of the new Collins Flower Guide (similar in style the Bird Guide) which has been advertised but seems to have its publication date put back all the time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE