Flexible plastic stiffener for pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Does anyone know if these can be bought anywhere?
Ideally though, would like to make my own, just struggling to think where I can get plastic that's suitable!

Cheers,
Andy

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
There's already a foam pad inside the pouch at the back of the pack,as I understand, the pack when new also has a flexible plastic stiffener to add rigidity and to stop items pushing through into the wearers back,this is what I'm after.

If it helps it's a Spec-Ops 3 day assault pack.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The old German Army packs actually use their closed cell kip mats for this. That's an option.
One thing I find very useful in the field is a cutting board. This one is a really useful size for your purpose.

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-cutting-board-large-p263284

I usually stow this down the front of my pack to solve abrasion risk and unsightly bulges. Fits well in my 35L and 45L packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
What sort of thickness, height depth etc, are you looking for a full back piece a small rod a few strips? I found the old fiberglass poles are exelent stiffening rods as it's hard to put short ones under any real tension, better than aluminium for this task by far !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE