Fishing sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hey All,

I'm considering getting a huge bulky sleeping bag for the winter months when there is only a short walk from the car. I like the idea of fishing bags as they are typically very roomy and many come with a nice fleecy inner built in. I have a fleece liner for my normal bag but it typically gets all twisted at the foot end and just annoys me.

So, for those in the know, what kind of temperatures do are they supposed to be comfortable at? I have only really seen the old season type ratings.
Are some brands better than others, if so which are the ones to avoid?
If anyone has any recommendations for some good very cheap bags I'd be really thankful, this is only a little experiment at the moment so I'm not going to splash out until I know I like the experience.

Cheers,
Joe.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
There is a young guy who fishes in the river Avon near me, and his is about the cheapest of those bags you can get, but he's modified it with a lot of fleeces cut and sewn in he picked up from the local car boot sales.

He's unemployed, and has nearly no money, but he was using it last winter without issue. Something to think upon anyways.

Taz220sdi

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2012
Princes Risborough
Hi Squidders - I have just taken delivery of a Cyprinus Magmatex (waterproof breathable fleece lined bag with ANOTHER bag inside it!)

Haven't taken it out yet but got in in in the living room and was massive and too warm to stay inside for more than 5 minutes.....,however, and this is a biggie! it weights over 5 KILOS!!

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have a Wychwood System Overnight bag.It has full length 2 way zips each side,2 removable fleece liners velcro into top and bottom halves,a built in pillow,and yes its bulky and heavy.but it is warm.
I dont know its rating, a friend of mine has been looking at fishing bags and could not make sense of the ratings
(nor could I ) . For me it would be a three season.
I sleep cold and have used it with another bag inside on nights when we have had frosts, and milk and water bottles have iced up and we had ice on the river in the morning.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Yeah, ratings are funny... I have seen a few bags listed as five season and I wonder if i'm missing something.

Then again, military bags are similarly confusing... jungle bag, arctic bag... I have never been to the jungle but did use a jungle bag in the UK a few summers ago.

The only reason I mentioned fishing sleeping bags is that they are a similar weight, pack size and cost to military ones and I think every bit as good.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Still love my old 58 pattern British army bag, cheap as chips, warm as hell and bomb proof. Worth a look if the budgets tight. If you're over 5'10" try and get a 'long' version, getting rare now but makes for a much more comfortable nights sleep.

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Hi I have a Trakker Jackal bag very warm water resistant, fleece inside, have used this all through UK winters under brolly, really toasty, not sure of rating but I have woken up with my water bottle and lake frozen.
Down side as you say is that they are bulky & heavy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Season ratings on bags are slightly subjective with some manufacturers. Some quote comfort, some what you'll survive at - just. It also depends on your size, how tired you are and what you've eaten that day. A close fitting bag should be warmer as you've less of a volume of air to heat up. A bag doesn't warm you it only traps what heat you've given off - some better than others.

If you get into a bag cold you'll likely stay that way for a while as you're body pulls heat into it's core. So a hot sugary drink and a little exercise before retiring can help as you are giving off heat.

Also a hot water bottle of some kind it darn handy and though it doesn't seem "manly" to some a fair few tough mountaineers I used to climb with all did the same. (It can also mean you don't have to melt water in the morning.)

I don't have any dealings with any of the fishing specific bags I'm afraid but I'd look at fit, filling and construction as to how good they'd be. You don't have to spend a fortune on a bag as a lot of the price is reflected in how small and/or light you can make it. I've been toasty in a £30 below zero, but the thing needed a pack mule to carry it.

Hope this is of a little help to you?

ATB,
GB.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I have a Wychwood System Overnight bag.It has full length 2 way zips each side,2 removable fleece liners velcro into top and bottom halves,a built in pillow,and yes its bulky and heavy.but it is warm.
I dont know its rating, a friend of mine has been looking at fishing bags and could not make sense of the ratings
(nor could I ) . For me it would be a three season.
I sleep cold and have used it with another bag inside on nights when we have had frosts, and milk and water bottles have iced up and we had ice on the river in the morning.

I do like the design of the new Wychwood Morpheus Ultra 7. It has lots of nice features including a nice foot pocket and the stuff sack doubles a fleece pillow. Waterproof outer as well. Pricey and very bulky though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO06eAXM9HE

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
That looks like a very good bag for the money, what is it you don't care for regarding the Ascent ?

Sorry, I've been away for a few days!

The Ascent is great, but a little restrictive for myself. I used in once in Scotland at -15 and it was plenty warm enough, but I like to be able to move around a bit more.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I bought the Coleman earlier today, (Sadly I left it too late for the Group Buy), got the display model from GO for £30.

It's huge! And I think it's going to be very warm. OK packs down too big to carry in a rucksack, but perfect for my canoe and motorhome or basecamp in Scotland.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I can thoroughly recommend the Trakker Big Z, it's a big heavy bag but you'll never be cold again. :)

'edit' after you've made your mind up maybe @ £160 though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE