Fishing line assembly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Hey all,

This is my first post after introducing myself. It's about a question I have for quite some time now;
How shall I make a fixed line (trout line) with leaders from a cord that I have already made?

The cord you see on the picture I made from yucca leaves. It's +/- 10 meters in length.

In my experience yucca fibers are strong, but not too abrasive resistant. So I was thinking of using another material for the leaders. The yucca cord I have is not to strong so I was thinking of doubling the cord to get 5 meters of main line anyway.

What's left is to produce and attach the leaders (and finally the hooks.) Since self made natural cord might not be ideal to apply regular fishing knot's to, I am thinking of another solution to attach the leaders to the main line. It must be all natural materials of course. How would you guy's and girls do this? Any input would be welcome...

I have not decided what material to use for making the leaders. I have a lot of stinging nettle fibers ready and prepared for twining though.

thanks!
Lush

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The best material for making leaders in my opinion is braided horse tail hair. If you can get hold of a couple of dozen hairs, you can braid a fine leader that can taper down to a single hair. It's what was used in fly fishing when Izaac Walton was a boy.

The hair from a stallion is best, but any will do the job. Otherwise it's down to retting linen from flax plants or teasing stinging nettle fibre and braiding it.

Eric

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Horse tail hair sounds like a very nice thing to try. Thanks for the tip. Also the tapering sounds like a nice plan!

btw.: stinging nettle proved to be a little hard; the fibers break at the internodes when I try to seperate them.

When you say "braided" Eric, do you mean the same thing as regular cord making?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Lush said:
When you say "braided" Eric, do you mean the same thing as regular cord making?

What I mean by braided is like when girls braid their hair - three strands, right over middle, left over middle, right over middle and so on. The fibre is put into a single twist first then braided into either three strands for a flat braid, or four strands for a round braid. It makes it much stronger than a two strand twist and it's barely any thicker in diameter.

I prefer the four strand round braid myself and use it for many projects that need strength.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
ESpy said:
I've never worked out why geldings don't get a look-in on that one...

Geldings or stallions are best. It makes no real difference. The difference is between male and female and the way they take a pee. Mare's pee out the back and often splash the tail, so the uric acid weakens the hair. Male horses pee forward with their hose attachment and the tail hair doesn't get contaminated. The fact that geldings don't get a mention is because they are not in a natural state, they've got bits missing, otherwise they'd be stallions.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Interesting stuff! Thank you very much.

Suppose I got my hands on some horse tail hair. How would I attach the braided leaders to the main line in a way that they do not shift? Can I use fishing knots for that?

(sorry for the late reaction, I was not able to post messages due to a technical problem with the board.)

btw.: I tried getting horse tail hair from a place where ppl. ride horses (I gave them a call.) Even with a nice joke to break the ice they refused and almost (not quite) got angry with me :(.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Lush said:
Interesting stuff! Thank you very much.

Suppose I got my hands on some horse tail hair. How would I attach the braided leaders to the main line in a way that they do not shift? Can I use fishing knots for that?

(sorry for the late reaction, I was not able to post messages due to a technical problem with the board.)

btw.: I tried getting horse tail hair from a place where ppl. ride horses (I gave them a call.) Even with a nice joke to break the ice they refused and almost (not quite) got angry with me :(.

You should be able to get away with fishing knots. If not, splice the leader into the end of the line and over whip with thread.

People who ride are perhaps not the best people to ask for bits of their animal. Better to approach a friendly vet and explain what you want the tail hair for. He might be able to put you in touch with a 'knacker man' (that's the man who takes dead horses away when they croak).

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE