Fish poisoning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Alkaline can destroy all manner of fish.
As a boy I used to spend many hours playing and fishing in a small brook that ran through our village. Doing the things boys do, building dams, catching bullheads and sticklebacks and when I discovered how, Trout.
I still have a love of brook trout, no doubt born from the boyhood days.
There was an old farm right at the end of the village, the place had been derelict for as long as I could remember. At the back of the farm ran the stream, which ran along side of a school and through the village and eventually converged with a river. The farm was developed in to a Pub come hotel (very well know carvery brand name). One day, the kitchen staff emptied a whole bottle of cooker cleaner in to the river. The next day the fish were dead. Trout by the hundreds washed up along banks. Very very sad. What I found to be really strange was that fish further up the brook had also been effected. I could only think that the fish had naturally moved up stream to get out of the contaminated areas. This was well over eighteen years ago and the brook has never recovered.

John

I know some native peoples use barks and plant matter to kill or intoxicate fish in order to catch them. I don't think hunting methods are really a question of morality to most hunter-gatherer peoples. They simply hunt or kill them in whatever way their traditions dictate, or they are capable of.

If you tried to tell an amazon bushman that killing fish by any means was immoral or wrong, he'd probably laugh in your face.

If he hadn't eaten it already.

FWIW, Toddy, you are of course in the right.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you tried to tell an amazon bushman that killing fish by any means was immoral or wrong, he'd probably laugh in your face.

I wasn't implying that we would be trying to propose our perceived moral values to hunter-gatherer peoples :))), more a case of wondering whether they would have their own moral codes that would dictate how they acquired their animal protein. We are given to believe that many hunter-gatherers have a greater respect for their food animals than we do, and this might perhaps lead to some self-imposed restrictions on how such food animals are killed. It might be considered that an animal that has been hunted is a more 'respectable' kill than one caught in a snare.

I know some native peoples use barks and plant matter to kill or intoxicate fish in order to catch them. I don't think hunting methods are really a question of morality to most hunter-gatherer peoples. They simply hunt or kill them in whatever way their traditions dictate, or they are capable of.

And this may well be dictated in part by the availability of food sources. Morals are perhaps a luxury that we can afford when there is a plentiful supply of food.

I'm not trying to make any judgements here, simply wondering whether hunter-gatherer peoples might have moral codes regarding their food sources in a different, though in some ways equivalent, way to ones that we observe.

Geoff

PS: This does seem to be going a bit off topic now!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Oh it's you dGeoff :)

You make some very interesting points there in that post. I thought I'd see if I could
find an online copy of the little 'Good Fish Guide' from the Marine Stewardship Council
which yays or nays fish depending on their depletedness or general damage to their
locality etc. etc. Eventually I did find it!

Good Fish Guide
http://www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf

Hopefully this is reasonably on topic as it's about harvesting fish kindly (well apart
from the individual fish who get harvested that is, not so great from their point of view).

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK

If he hadn't eaten it already.

FWIW, Toddy, you are of course in the right.

In the late 1970s I was friends with a romany family who used some what I would call un-orthadox methods of putting food on the table but the one thing they were insistant on was not to mess up a future source of food just to eat today (got some brilliant memories of legging it from the game keepers but thats another story)

If it was under a "survival situation", the law would not apply, and that was the initial enquiry, not if it was legal or not, the thread should not have swerved in that direction really. Its not what the OP asked.

Used to use hand grenades and dynamite when I lived in Greece, now that WAS fun

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The disclaimers are necessary. The forum has literally millions of hits and the vast majority of readers are not members.

This thread not only came up with a lot of interesting information but several very good links, it would be appreciated if that continued and the sniping stopped.

The OP asked about a survival situation, since this is a British forum one assumes he meant within the British Isles. As was already pointed out, it's beyond unlikely that such activity would ever be necessary here.

cheers,
Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've been lucky enough to have at go at this in another country
We had a dammed up creek that fed into a larger river and used bundles of bashed up roots (I forget the name) which turned the water milky and stifled the oxygen levels and brings the fish to the surface where we shot them with bows and arrows.
Not terribly sporting but incredibly effective.
That was also a good day because I saw a Jesus Lizard running across on the water. There's some weird stuff out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE