first time wet weather tarping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on wet tarp camping.
I have done a couple of dry nights but not a wet one. me and my freind are going this weekend. I am planning on setting it up one end tied to a tree and the other pegged down. and sleeping on a debris bed with a sleeping bag (as i have done before).i have a 3 season bag, but its not supposed to be to cold just wet.
and weel have a fire going. i'm not to bothered but if theres any tips some more experienced tarpers that could give me some advise that would be great.
george

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Keep an eye on the weather forecast right up until you go and pitch your tarp with regard not only to the ambient wind but also any windshifts which might occur during the night. The last thing you need is the deluge blowing in at daft o'clock.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
You'll be OK. As BILMO P5 said above, the wind changing direction is the only real pain , you probably already know but for extra head room, if you are under trees you can pull it up or use a 3 or 4 foot springy sapling like a bent fishing rod, drive it in to the ground on the inside near the back of the tarp, the extra space is great. One other thing I normally do is hang stuff along the guy lines, normally a lamp or a torch to the front anyway but also some bits to make the lines a bit more visible at night ,I cant tell you how many times ive ether tripped or nearly garrotted myself at night on my own lines ,, Happy trails Bro.

Last edited:

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Do you have a bivy bag? If not, they're really worth it. Help with the wind as well as the wet/damp air.

Big fan of a lean to with a side dropped like this (using dead wood I find as poles and pitched into the wind)
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.YJ41PSmr1efxApcVICkYAA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
If you're near a tree and have a tie out in the middle of your tarp you can pull the center out to get a little more room.

Usually that's fine but if it gets really bad you can drop the other side and make a half pyramid like so

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.fHxLWMfv9VFGra7XsamPlw&w=240&h=98&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.1

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's good advice to think of ways of keeping your stuff dry like putting it in a sheltered spot or wrapping it under its own protection.

I always take something like a big carrier bag or a bin liner to put my boots in, as they'll likely be muddy so they go in their own bag and don't get mud on everything else.

I use a small groundsheet, which is often just a sheet of thin polythene.

I much prefer a breathable bivvy bag to put me in. The issue ones are great, and cheap enough. You don't have to worry nearly so much about wind-blown rain if you're in a bivvy bag.

The 3x3 tarp is plenty big enough for just you - I often use something quite a bit smaller. With a 4.5x3 I can get my motor-bike under it as well (yes, it was foggy as well):

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3755.jpg

In that photo I've hitched one side of the tarp to a fence. That's mostly because I've tied the bike to the fence as well. The bike won't fall on me unless it pulls the fence down, and I get some shelter from the bike. The bike is facing north in that photo, the prevailing wind from the west - the lowest part of the tarp. Otherwise I mosly rig the ridge line between two trees, low at the feet end with the tarp sides on the ground. I sleep somewhat diagonally under the tarp and I try to get my feet pointing more or less into the wind. I try to plan for any forecast change in wind direction to take the wind onto the side of the tarp, not the end. It doesn't always work out. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE