First Spoons!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bearded Bear

Mar 24, 2013
Brazil
Hey, guys.
I'm just here to post, as promised, the pictures of my first two spoons!

They are made of pine with some sunflower oil.

110_6370.jpg

110_6374.jpg

110_6372.jpg

The pics got too dark because it is indoors and at night (And the poor photographer as well.. :cool:)

I have just one thing to ask, the kind of oil makes diference??

Hope you all enjoy this.
B.B.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice work for a first go. goodjob

Although pine is soft to work it can be an awkward cove due to the grain and a tendancy to tear out, which I think is what happened in a few places (judging by the pics).

Love the flowing form of the second one.

"I have just one thing to ask, the kind of oil makes diference??" .... yes some will darken the wood more than others, many people like to use walnut oil as it is food safe and does not go rancid, I have used olive oil with no ill effects. I suspect that many oils soak in enough to prevent the wood being food stained but much of it washes out during washing up duties (judging by my treated spoons against my untreated kitchen spoons).

Wood from fruit trees tends to carve easier than pine, even though they are hardwoods, try some for your next spoon if you can.

Rob.

Bearded Bear

Mar 24, 2013
Brazil
Thanks, Rob!
Actually I don't have the proper tools for the job, I use some old carving blades that was from my older brother but is really hard to make the bowl with them..=/
It is hard to find Spoon Knives in Brazil, but I'm trying to get myself some.

And I only used pine because I have a great amount of it at home...xD

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Well that makes your endeavours even more impressive!
It did not register that you are in Brazil, my bad should of checked.
If you have a straight blade or two then all you really need is a spoon knife or crooked knife style blade to carve the hollow bowls..that or use embers to burn out the hollow.(then all you need is a round ended scraper to clear away the charred wood to clean the spoons bowl)

It would be interesting to see what native woods you have that carve well.

Rob.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just to add to the oil comment.
I use grape seed oil cheaper than walnut ( which smells lovely) and also no problems with nut allergy sufferers.
D

Bearded Bear

Mar 24, 2013
Brazil
Fraxinus: Well that makes your endeavours even more impressive!
It did not register that you are in Brazil, my bad should of checked.
If you have a straight blade or two then all you really need is a spoon knife or crooked knife style blade to carve the hollow bowls..that or use embers to burn out the hollow.(then all you need is a round ended scraper to clear away the charred wood to clean the spoons bowl)

Thank you, kind sir!:D No harm done at all! I'll try to find some spoon knife or something close to it (I saw some hoof knives but I don´t know if they can handle the wood =/ )
I want to use some, but as a biologist I find myself feeling really down about cutting trees, so I'm trying to find some wood available!

tommy the cat: I use grape seed oil cheaper than walnut ( which smells lovely) and also no problems with nut allergy sufferers.
I actually have some at home, on the next try I'll give it a go! Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE