First possible wolf killed by car in the Netherlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I guess genetic origin (e.g. German) and physical origin (e.g. private pet) are different questions. Animals don't much care about borders - and DNA can't prove how it came to be there. Good news though - if they are coming back, more evidence should follow!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
wolves have been both sighted & even photographed in Holland.

Well yeah, but keep in mind these photo's were so blurry they're just as credible as Loch Ness monster sightings. Also most people don't see the difference between a wolf and a 'Saarlooswolfhond' or Czechoslovakian wolfhounds.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Quick question: How many species of wolves were there in Europe (historically not pre historically) and how many species remain?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well yeah, but keep in mind these photo's were so blurry they're just as credible as Loch Ness monster sightings. Also most people don't see the difference between a wolf and a 'Saarlooswolfhond' or Czechoslovakian wolfhounds.

I've seen some of the photos, even a short video & I'm pretty convinced they are wolves.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Quick question: How many species of wolves were there in Europe (historically not pre historically) and how many species remain?

There is only the european wolf in Europe ( otherwise known as the Eurasian wolf ) which is a sub species of the grey wolf. There are however, isolated populations, such as the Iberian wolves, which have been cut off from other groups for so long that there are slight genetic differences.

Last edited:

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
Near Madrid, Sorbe river. May 2nd. Lots of traces. Rotting calf. Wolfhound carcass, one alive. Difficult to forget those eyes. Noble dog.. It's about giving up control. We humans are not so good at that.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Some sources are now suggesting the wolf was killed somewhere in Eastern Europe or Germany, put in a car and just layed down in Noordoostpolder.

I hope they can figure out wether the wolf really died here or not. I think the only way is to get some DNA from the beaver inside it's stomach to see where it came from. Hopefully that will get some answers. Anyhow I'll keep you all updated.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Some sources are now suggesting the wolf was killed somewhere in Eastern Europe or Germany, put in a car and just layed down in Noordoostpolder.

I hope they can figure out wether the wolf really died here or not. I think the only way is to get some DNA from the beaver inside it's stomach to see where it came from. Hopefully that will get some answers. Anyhow I'll keep you all updated.

Or maybe a geologist could shed some light if there's any earth/mud on its paws.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'm trying to figure why somebody would dump the body in the first place.

As in the person who hit the wolf, if it did come from here on it's own legs? Probably didn't report it because of all the hate you would evoke from killing the first wolf in the Netherlands in 150 years. If that person even noticed it was a wolf, as it could have been a truck too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
All these tests cost a lot of money. I love programs like NCIS but it must be pretty unrealistic doing such a battery of tests on every victim. and yes isotope analysis may tell us where it's from. But who's paying for it? I don't think they'll throw too much cash at it as unless there's a study going somewhere it's not of enough "scientific interest" to pay it's way unfortunately.

Otzi was /is such a rarity that it warranted these costs.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
All these tests cost a lot of money. I love programs like NCIS but it must be pretty unrealistic doing such a battery of tests on every victim. and yes isotope analysis may tell us where it's from. But who's paying for it? I don't think they'll throw too much cash at it as unless there's a study going somewhere it's not of enough "scientific interest" to pay it's way unfortunately.

Otzi was /is such a rarity that it warranted these costs.

In the name of science and education, I don't see it being such a big deal. Every otter carcass I've come across gets sent to a university for an autopsy. Lots of knowledge can be gained from it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In the name of science and education, I don't see it being such a big deal. Every otter carcass I've come across gets sent to a university for an autopsy. Lots of knowledge can be gained from it.

I agree, it would be interesting to know, but there's obviously an on-going otter autopsy scheme running. Is someone going to randomly pick up the tab on this one?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Cool, let's hope someone does that as it would be interesting. Didn't know learning bodies could still get involved like that.

It's either that or I have to fork out 50 quid of my own money to see a psychic who will contact the spirit of the dead otter, just so we can know that it's happy now and it feels a connection with the letter 'P'. :rofl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE