First possible wolf killed by car in the Netherlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thought I read somewhere that the wolf was reintroduced in Scotland?

Not yet :rolleyes:.........the reintroduction of wolves into Scotland does pop up from time to time, but in fact the original plan was formulated by a land owner who wanted to have Timber wolves roaming his estate but they would have been in large enclosures, along with bison & other N. American fauna.
It's very unlikely wild wolves will ever be wandering free over the Scotish hills. :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Not yet :rolleyes:.........the reintroduction of wolves into Scotland does pop up from time to time, but in fact the original plan was formulated by a land owner who wanted to have Timber wolves roaming his estate but they would have been in large enclosures, along with bison & other N. American fauna.
It's very unlikely wild wolves will ever be wandering free over the Scotish hills. :)

Maybe one will swim across from the Netherlands like that moose that swam from Sweden to Denmark. :-D

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Maybe one will swim across from the Netherlands

Or from France, everything is possible,......but even if a wolf did, for some unknown reason, decide to launch into a marathon swim with no land in sight,,.... with the strong currents, shipping & long distance, it's doubtful it would make it. & even if it did one wolf doesn't make a population & it would probably be run over shortly after it landed ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is indeed very interesting news. All the previous posts are quite cogent, for and against wolves in Europe. In all your opinions, how does 'Rewilding' fit into your viewpoint? Here in N. America there is gobs of land that can be put aside for rewilding, maybe not so much in Europe in general and the UK in particular. When I mention rewilding, I'm not talking about what some groups here want, rewilding all the way back to the Paleolithic. I'm more in line with lets say, back to the bronze age flora and fauna as a base for rewilding. I mean look at the uproar of reintroduction of the wolf in Europe, how do you think people would react to Aurochs and Wooly Mammoth strolling down the M5 or uprooting your garden in the North Hants somewhere?
Again, random ponderings.
Cheers
Alex

As a fellow North American, I'd like to see some rewilding here. Preferably only back as far as pre-Columbian though. That said, one of the problems with wolves is that they rarely stay contained.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE