First Knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I put my first knife together this evening. Its a lapplander115 and I used curly birch for the scales. Cut to size with a band saw and then sanded to shape with a hobby belt sander. Polishes with wire wool and oiled with danish oil.

Made a few mistakes - ie not lining the two halves up properly so that the holes on the second side were in the wrong place. Therefore had to cut the good side in half again so its ended up a little on the thin side. Its just under 5/8". Then I forgot to glue the scales before I hammered the rivets home, so its only the rivets holding them on - NOT for use near liquids. Still I thought I would use it a while until the get too bad and then make a new handle. Overall all I am quite pleased with the result. Next project is the sheath.

Attachments

• lap115l.JPG
    lap115l.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 139
  • lap115r.JPG
    lap115r.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 104

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Respect thats a good job youve done Ive had a 115 lapplander for many years you wont be disapointed and they DO work well with ALL types of firesteels I use mine for all sorts of tasks boning out,skinning,slicing,you name it its ok youve inspired me to have a go and put my own handle on one it must have taken some time and care to get those scales the right shape. :D

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Nice job! I've been eyeing up the 115 blade for a while, wondering what a decent handle would look like on it. Really like what you've done! Think I'll finish tillering that ash bow before I start on this project though.. ;)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Lovely job mate. I've done a 115 (there's some pics around somewhere) using some oak floorboard offcuts. I can get the edge just about the sharpest of my knives (sliced my knuckle the other day), it has a nice balance and is fine for both battoning and carving. However it's definitely not the best with a firesteel though that's easily overcome carrying a piece of hacksaw blade. Enjoy it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE