First friction fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
:D :D :D :p :) :) :D :D :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :) :eek:
I did it!!!!
First bowdrill fire from start to finish.
It took half the time I thought it would, had smoke in seconds and took a rest and noticed it was still smoking when I stopped so dropped it in my tinder bundle, thought I had blew it out again then flames! :D :D
Dead chuffed with myself, Thanks to all the people who posted about it and who helped me at the moot :cool:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Congrats mate..... you'll always remember your first time :p Out of interest, what woods did you use?

Again... Well done :cool:

:D
Ed

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Definitely one of those moments, dont think the neighbours understood though!
I used a hazel drill with a pallet hearth and a straight bow,that I brought back from the meet at Merthr Mawr. For tinder it was dried grass and fern with some thistledown I collected a couple of days ago.
I found the straight bow with a slot cut along the side a lot easier to use than a bow shape(Thanks Fenlander!)
Going to put some Ibuprofen gel on and try again later!

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Congrats.

I also want to thank Fenlander (or perhaps Mors?) with his straight-bow trick. He's doing a good job converting all the bent-bow fans :D.

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Brilliant Goose, congrats on your first friction fire, you should succeed almost every time from now on!

Goose said:
I used a hazel drill with a pallet hearth

Identical to my first set up last week!

I bet you are already thinking about the hand drill!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE