Fire by condom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Having been sent a link to this video;

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/64744/Use_Condoms_to_Make_Fire

I was challenged by a friend to make it work.....

I put some water into a condom and tied the end (based on my experience for best results it's best to rinse the condom a couple of times before you try it).

Crampballandcondom.jpg
[/IMG]

I used both crampball and true tinder fungus for the experiment.

Form the condom into a lens shape and focus the sunlight onto the tinder (you will need to adjust the shape and focal distance to get the strongest focal point)

Condomfirelens.jpg
[/IMG]

With crampball, once you have a good focal point it will ignite almost immediately (true tinder fungus was a bit slower)

Condomcrampballburing.jpg
[/IMG]

I have to say that this works far quicker than I expected it to!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I thought this was going to be some sort of friction firelighting method :lmao:

would it work with an ordinary plastic bag? or any type of clear-ish balloon material? - can't really try it here, as it's been cloudy all day :rolleyes:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Think i'll give that a go next weekend, have used glasses etc before but that's superb, not sure if it'll work with the ticklers though :rolleyes:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
bikething said:
I thought this was going to be some sort of friction firelighting method :lmao:

would it work with an ordinary plastic bag? or any type of clear-ish balloon material? - can't really try it here, as it's been cloudy all day :rolleyes:
I have succeeded with a plastic bag. But as the natural shape isn't very round it is hard to get a good focus. Took about 20 minutes of fiddling till it worked.

Wine glasses with water can impress the guests to lunch.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cool trick, another fire lighting method for my survival club lesson plan - once I have done it my self of course.:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE