Finishing on Helle knife shafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi all,

I was recently given a Helle Trofe knife as a present and I must say I am most impressed with the blade.

However I am a little concerned with the finish on the shaft as it doesnt seem to be sealed on treated in anyway and if iwas to get wet or dirty I think it would damage quite easily.

I was also thinking it would be worth sanding down a little with a finer grade paper?

My question is....Is it worth sealing the shaft and, if so, what with? :confused:

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hello,

Two words Danish Oil just finish the handle with progressively finer waterproof paper, finish by superfine like 2000 grit waterproof or 0000 steelwool.

Then get yourself an small high glass jar with olives, eat the olives keeping the bottle, clean it inside dry, make an rectangle cutout in the closing lid where your Helle's blade just fits through and it can be sealed effectively with some duct tape.
Get a 250 ml (about 7.5 flask ounces?) can with Danish Oil, put Handle in jar fill with Danish Oil slip over closing lid close and tape shut the opening between knife blade and closing lid and leave for 24 hours checking sometimes to see if the whole handle is still covered with Danish Oil.

Go to living room pour yourself a martini and put an olive in ;)

After 24 hours remove lid with taped blade still attached to it, let excess oil drip in glass jar, don't waist anything, rubbing over handle from top to bottom removes last bit of oil , let it drip in jar (Dutch way, saves money ;) )
Now rub the grip dry with lint free piece of cloth and let dry for some time, rubbing now and then to give it that satin smooth oil finish as end result.

Good luck, my Helle Eggen came out superbly finished with a nice somewhat darker finish of the Masur curly birch handle.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thanks very much for the advice....Will get off down the DIY store for some goodies this weekend.

I take it that the oil won't damage the reindeer antler at all?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE