Finding Areas For Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
some of us like to do a bit of back packing and sleep wherever the day ends its stupid to walk when its dark as seriuos injury could be sustained.

we were offering advice to a 17 yr old how many people will let him use there land,not many if he gos to places like scotland or uses land with public access the only legall grey area would be the lighting of fires.

Thanks for the advice h2o, i'm not sure how justified that rant was though?

Shouldn't you plan your backpacking to end at a suitable camp site preferably if possible one where you have obtained permission.

Personally i don't want to take the risk of the grey area as it may affect my future career hence why im asking how to obtain permission, if i wanted to take the risk of court i wouldn't be asking this question and probably not even on these forums.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
lol that was not a rant its called retalition to the rant of others ,but yes i suppose u could plan trips to end at a certain place but obtaining permission to camp over a 70 mile walk is nigh on impossible ,if u just wanna hang around a local privatly owned wood youre gonna have to get permission.youre probably better off talking to backpackers if you wanna travel around see sum stuff and camp over night.i use woodland that has no owner as such maybe waterboard or f.c but i just go there an stay low profile.thats why im out most weekends not stuff indoors arm chair bushcrafting.Why not just go to scotland if youre worried about access rights?

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
i am hopefully off to shetland for 2 months work ex. over the summer and am going to bolt on a months hols on the end :D. But its nice to be able to do stuff when your not on holiday. At the mo there is only the college woods which are tiny and less than ideal though ok for the odd week night.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
simon m gettin mad because others disagree with you shows a real lack of maturity maybe my philosophy isnt what your about thats fine but chill out fella i dont think god intended the forested areas of this earth to be used only by the water board.

I would rather not continue this pointless arguement. After all how many people came to defend you point of view? I think the vast majority of us a law abiding, decent citizens who respect the property rights of others, even if that "other" is a faceless corporation.

H2O - I wish you all the best in your Bushcrafting quest, and hope that you do not have to run away too often.

Simon

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
im 31 now mate ,i ran when i was 14 yr old being harrased by some crazy old chap who thought he had more rights to be in the wood than me .even the baliff let me camp there,lets agree to differ ill keep on backpacking and exploring uve got your place to camp so we r all happy

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
I think H20 has a point and so do the others,

If you are looking at woods that are local to you, you should ask permisson especially if its farm land. However it is not always possible to seek permission for every where you go in the country, ie if you are going for long walks in new woods and sometimes there is no ovious land owner or you are kiaking etc..Just be sensible I guess, dont start making giant shelters or big fires thats why I bought a bushbuddy wood stove.

At least then if some one comes along, you are not doing anything that may cause them concern. I do think its best to seek permission though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE