Finding Areas For Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
How do people on these forums find areas to practice their bushcraft? I've looked at and OS map to find some woodland near me that is relatively local then do you suggest i just contact the land owner and ask permission to use it (obviously i need permission)? When gaining permission to use land would my age be a factor (i'm 17)? Sorry if its a lot of questions, but i just really want to get out there and aren't sure how to go about it.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Ah! Just like my first question when I joined. The one everyone wants to know.

A lot depends on what you want to do. Bushcraft is such a wide field that wherever you are there will be something that you can do, from wild food identification, to tracking, to knots, etc., etc., but I suspect that, for most people, the Holy Grail of Bushcraft is somewhere to sleep out and light a fire.

There seems to be so much 'irresponsible bushcraft' (i.e. idiots lighting fires and leaving litter) that I suspect it is getting more difficult to find landowners willing to help but from what I have read here, asking is really the only way that you are going to be able to get permission to do what you want. See if there is anything you can do to help (e.g. clearing undergrowth) or suggest something 'milder' than fires to start with (e.g. observing wildlife) until you get to know the person better and take it from there. And, it is probably obvious, but treat a meeting with a landowner a bit like an interview. Try and guess what sort of person they would consider suitable and think about dressing appropriately for when you meet that person.

However, your best bet in the short term is see if you can get to a local meet (check out the Meetups thread). These are held fairly regularly throughout the year and will often be in places where people have already got permission to light fires, etc.

And then there are one or two bushmoots every year - the big gatherings.

I'm sure you'll get lots more replies - but many people have asked this question before, so there will likely be lots of advice if you search the forums.

Also, it depends on your garden, but I've got a little area down the bottom of the garden where I can escape to do things like make nettle cordage (which I have gathered from local footpaths), do a bit of carving (from dead wood that I have found locally), have a brew on a little hobo stove, practice lighting with a flint and steel, etc. These are all good skills to learn so that when you do eventually get out into the woods, you aren't getting frustrated trying to learn them for the first time (possibly in the dark and the rain).

Geoff

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Sounds like joining your local Venture Scouts may help.

Nick

Have to agree with all of the above, especially the venture scouts. They were one of the main ways I got my first try at bushcraft (Not that it was called that back when.....) and wild camping, got to do canoeing, climbing and a whole load of other stuff. Think about it seriously.

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
Sounds like joining your local Venture Scouts may help.

Nick

yeah, i used to be a member of my local scout troop and it was really good we got out a lot and did some survival camps. The emphasis was being outdoors :). However we merged with another larger troop that was more worried about badges and stuff that was less interesting to most of us that just wanted to be out there so it kinda fell apart. I have since moved away and am doing a course in countryside management and am feeling much more inclined to be outside than before. Also im kind of not within easy access of the local town and am quite busy on week nights to try and get to a scout troop. I'm going to look into it though.

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
Im not sure if id feel comfortable in my local country park. The tour round by the ranger featured such things as: the toilets getting burnt down, a mad axe man attacking trees and signs.
That's really why im looking to private land - no access so less dodgy people?? am i right in thinking this?
Does anyone have any tips for approaching land owners and how to broach the subject?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apart from meets and moots with members, most of my bushcraft is during the day, Learning plants and foraging. When I was your age I used to bunk school find a secluded wood in the middle of london (they do exist!!) and just mess about there. I would make stuff by weiving things with willow and make string to tie things together. I never called it bushcraft and natural string is called cordage now.

You seem alot more grown up than I was at 17, but you don't need permission to practice a wide range of bushcraft skills. There is member called JonR that makes the most fanastic stuff with wood and he is your age. He has had problems with where he takes his wood from though, and there is a problem with landlords trusting people. Mainly due to the sad fact that world is filled with idiots.

Good luck gaining permission, tells us if you have any luck.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hi mate.

You need to find a place within easy access. You will then need to identify the landowner. Knock on the nearest door and ask if they know the name of the landowner. Most woodland owners own farmland as well so it shouldn;t be too difficult.

You can write to the landowner, but I find that knocking on the door, introducing myself in person is the best approach. I know this seems a little archaic, but dress reasonably smartly and call the occupant Sir.

Say that you're interested in wildlife/nature/conservation/plant/tree identification. Say you want to observe wildlife at night and might require the ocassional overnight access (don't mention camping - it conjures up images of large tents). I wouldn;t mention bushcraft - it's too difficult to explain. Perhaps later you can mention wilderness living or primitive technology or skills.

You can assure the landowner that you will have zero impact on the land (leave no trace) you will assist where possible (clearing up, picking up litter) and reporting anything out of place.

Don't forget for your own safety to ask if there's any shooting activity going on during the year (Oct - Feb is pheasant shooting).

I wouldn't ask anymore than that for a while. Enjoy the wood but don;t do anything outside of your agreement. Cutting up large branches and building huge fires is a no no. After a few months, go back again and say how things are going and then see how the land lays to ask for other things.

Good luck

Pablo.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
my philosophy is better to ask forgiveness than permission!!!!keep the camp tidy fire small and clean up b4 u go if any 1 does catch you he may say carry on.baliffs caught me a few times but just said keep the place tidy and have a small fire .if u only burn stuff off the floor dont start hacking trees down there wont be a problem .unless some crazy old guy starts shaking his walking stick at you then just run and hide for a while ,yes thats happened to me lol

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
my philosophy is better to ask forgiveness than permission!!!!keep the camp tidy fire small and clean up b4 u go if any 1 does catch you he may say carry on.baliffs caught me a few times but just said keep the place tidy and have a small fire .if u only burn stuff off the floor dont start hacking trees down there wont be a problem .unless some crazy old guy starts shaking his walking stick at you then just run and hide for a while ,yes thats happened to me lol

I don't want to appear over ethical about this or take the moral high ground but I really don't think that's a good idea. It's not your land to go on without permission in the first place. Trespass is a civil tort and you could be sued. Even though trespass is not a criminal offence any damage to anything on the property could be construed as criminal damage. Setting fires (however small) to things is arson.

You might also want to consider bringing the name of Bushcraft into disrepute. It's hard enough explaining to landowners what we do. Giving us a bad name wouldn't help at all.

As I explained on my previous post, people who do have permission may well be shooters. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you were accidently injured.

I would be extremely careful. I hope you take this reply in the spirit it was intended.

Pablo.

xylaria

Well said Pablo,:You_Rock_ you are more diplomatic than I ever could be.

I have rarely have to ask to permission, but I have never do anything than needs to ask for forgiveness.

I have been shot at for walking through an open gate on to private land, while i think the annual ramblers cull was on, but I left (very quickly) thinking they had committed the greater offence.

If you broadly breakdown bushcraft skills into catorgries, of firecraft, woodwork and simerlar skills, hunting, fishing, foraging, terrain skills (map reading, weather reading etc), shelter/survival. It is only hunting and shelter/survival need permission, one because it is armed trespass without, and other because it requires putting up a shelter/tarp/tent and living on someones land. The rest of the skills can practiced in a small garden or legally in the great out doors.
[please nobody cause a war cause I missed out thier bit of bushcraft with my list]

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
yes i agree with you as well pablo. i would never want to camp on someones land without permission unless i had a just cause. I think as practitioners of bushcraft morals and ethics should be quite high on our agenda with our actions being morally justifiable.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Guess I am quite lucky really, one of my dads mates owns a huge farm near me, loads of woods etc.. for me to play in, can get up to any thing I want and I know I will be safe as it is on private land, no foot paths etc..

I do have to share these woods with pheasant/partridge? hunters etc.. so I do have to check when they will be about and what wood they will be in/near, I dont want to get shot at!!

The plus side to this is allowed to catch anything I want as well when there, rabbits, birds etc.. although I haven't tried any thing like that yet.

The RAF also use the empty fields to practise Merlin landings on which is pretty cool.

I am off there this weekend to try out some new kit.

So my point is it is best to ask, I know for a fact my farmer friend would let an individual get up to any thing they wanted as long as they asked but I rekon he would be a bit annoyed if they found uninvited guests. I can see their point as he has live stock on his land and needs to protect his income. Always best to ask.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

I thought you wanted to be a bushcraft instructor? For the sake of the next generation of bushcrafters I hope not!

As for running away and hiding - just how old are you - 12? GROW UP!

Many of us struggle to legally carry out our hobby in a safe, considerate manner - people with an attitude like yours just make it harder for the rest of us to gain permission from landowners. :rant:

EDIT:- After reading this back next day I still feel angry, BUT feel that I need to end on a positive. If anybody is looking for sample letter material for landowners, check out the thread that I started after finally getting an area to practice Bushcraft in LEGALLY! :rolleyes: (Link below)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=344753

Simon

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i ran away when i was about 15 because some old guy chased me off even though the ballif allowed me to camp there ,get off your moral high ground i dont camp on a farmers land i use woodland where the public have a right to roam
some of us like to do a bit of back packing and sleep wherever the day ends its stupid to walk when its dark as seriuos injury could be sustained.i live in the country and probably have a better working knowledge of it than some city dwelling arm chair bushcrafters.as for teaching bushcraft survival skills i think that scotland is the place to go.and the saying better to ask forgiveness than permission is a saying used amongst the canoeing kayaking community regards to accessing waterways as for lighting a small fire without permission as long as u leave no trace its not a problem keep it small keep it clean ,dont burn standing trees just ground litter.if u dont like my views fine enjoy the city!!!

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
and as for civil tort i think the hnd in legal studys gives me more of a legal background than yourself.unless u did the degree of course and u want to beg to differ.after all i thought we were offering advice to a 17 yr old how many people will let him use there land,not many if he gos to places like scotland or uses land with public access the only legall grey area would be the lighting of fires.simon m gettin mad because others disagree with you shows a real lack of maturity maybe my philosophy isnt what your about thats fine but chill out fella i dont think god intended the forested areas of this earth to be used only by the water board.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE