Ferry to Norway???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I know that the North Shields to Norway ferry was shut down 3 or 4 yrs ago, but, has anyone an idea if it coming back into service? Would be great ad next year's holiday would be sorted. I heard that Norway had put up their money to reinstate it and that the council over here didn't? Any info at all? TIA for any info

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Sorry to say there are no ferries my daughter has a Norwegian boyfriend and has to fly out for visits. I think there was some lobbying going on here and in Norway to reintroduce a service but there is no movement as far as i am aware.

Hope you still get on your holidays its a stunning place,

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Do you want to take your car? There is a way.... a long way! Ferry to Holland, then drive and ferry. I forgot the exact route but it involves a lot of miles driving and I think more than one ferry. Drawbacks cost, time (hours on the road). An adventure in itself I'd imagine. It might be possible to train it but I never looked any further into it. It's such a shame the ferry has gone.

Reactions: Sundowner

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Buy a small yacht and sail yourself .. proper adventure ;-) I once chatted to a Norwegian on Lock Ness who had done it several times. Always been my dream since :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
There are ferries for freight that also carry passangers including cars and vans, going between UK and Scandinavia.

Riddle of the Sands is a very thought provoking book, sprcially considering the fate of the author!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird. I understood they did.

Maybe they do on other routes?

Britain is truly getting cut off!

Edit: the Freightlink site seems to indicate you can take a ’van, 4-8 meters long, max height 2.7 meters, driver and any passangers’

Worth investigationg for the OP as it would save him a lot ot time if it can be done!

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Weird. I understood they did.

Maybe they do on other routes?

Britain is truly getting cut off!

Edit: the Freightlink site seems to indicate you can take a ’van, 4-8 meters long, max height 2.7 meters, driver and any passangers’

Worth investigationg for the OP as it would save him a lot ot time if it can be done!
Well I only had a quick glance. Even if you can take a small van say a transit I think it still has to be commercial not private vehicle. May be worth a phone call or email to find out for sure.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Many years ago in my deep dark past I used to hitch to Dover and find a lorry going on the ferry and get a free lift across the channel. Drivers used to be allowed to take a drivers mate and if you found a driver without one often they would be happy to have some company. Even being female never had any trouble. Often got a free meal too! I'm not sure if this would work nowadays tho and probably won't at all after brexit.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
One way is a ferry to Shetland Islands then to faro Islands then to norway..... Could be a wonderful slow adventure stopping at each place for a week to explore.

Reactions: Sundowner

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
if you take the ferry from Harwich to Rotterdam / Hoek van Holland, you can drive in 12 hours to Fredrikshaven in Denmark and take the ferry to Oslo.
Another option is to drive from Rotterdam to Kiel in Germany and take the ferry to Goteborg in Sweden and drive from there to Norway.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
if you take the ferry from Harwich to Rotterdam / Hoek van Holland, you can drive in 12 hours to Fredrikshaven in Denmark and take the ferry to Oslo.
Another option is to drive from Rotterdam to Kiel in Germany and take the ferry to Goteborg in Sweden and drive from there to Norway.
yes thats the route I was thinking of in my first reply. I just couldn't remember . It was about two years ago I researched that. Seems like the best ferry /land route.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Do you want to take your car? There is a way.... a long way! Ferry to Holland, then drive and ferry. I forgot the exact route but it involves a lot of miles driving and I think more than one ferry. Drawbacks cost, time (hours on the road). An adventure in itself I'd imagine. It might be possible to train it but I never looked any further into it. It's such a shame the ferry has gone.

I thought about this, but, as you said cost and driving make this impossible with my family.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Buy a small yacht and sail yourself .. proper adventure ;-) I once chatted to a Norwegian on Lock Ness who had done it several times. Always been my dream since :)

Sailed all my early life but won't get another boat. This one is taking a trailer for two canoes for at least 3 weeks and exploring parts of Norway and Sweden.

Reactions: mikehill

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Problem really is that we live up in Northumberland and the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam in High season is coming with a hefty price tag, then still a long drive to either Denmark or Germany and again, ferry cost to wherever!! But thanks guys, I'm sure we'll find a way

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE