Feathers to catch a spark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was standing in my garden earlier and I saw lots of feathers on the ground, which got me thinking. Could you use Feathers to catch a spark from a fire steel? Considering I could see at least 5 in my garden alone, its not like they are hard to find, and fluffy ones would be even better, right? If anyone has experimented this before, what feathers would be best to catch a spark, fluffy ones, or maybe some have a coating of waterproof oil or something? any ides?

Thanks
Billy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nope... can't say I've heard of feathers being used with a firesteel.

Why not go grab the ones you can see and try, then report back to us if it was a success or not :)

How was vietnam, have a good time?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not something that I have tried. However, years ago I worked in a vets on work experience, and we had to cauterise an open wound on a budgie. The budgie was anaethsetised by sticking its head into a jar of ether, and I was given a wet towel to hold.

"What's the towel for?" I asked
"Hot cauterising tool, and ether is flammable", came the answer, "and so are budgies!"

:lmao:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You can use them as incense sticks in your house. Try lighting one just before the missus gets in and I guarantee she'll be incensed.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not something that I have tried. However, years ago I worked in a vets on work experience, and we had to cauterise an open wound on a budgie. The budgie was anaethsetised by sticking its head into a jar of ether, and I was given a wet towel to hold.

"What's the towel for?" I asked
"Hot cauterising tool, and ether is flammable", came the answer, "and so are budgies!"

:lmao:

Hubby and I ROFLMAO (I really do like budgies!). Back to the OP, despite budgies being flamable I've not found feathers work well with a firesteel but that could just be my technique - or lack of it! Let us know if it works for you.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
My guess is that they won't take a spark very well; I may be wrong.

Either way, they will probably smell awful!

Ok, the results are in!

The first feather was a small white fluffy one (not sure what bird it's from :/, I'm new to this :p) with my index finger for size comparison.
WspQCsl.jpg
[/IMG]

It caught the spark first time, but didn't really burn just sort of melted. Sorry for terrible picture, couldnt see the screen from the sun glare.
9OMFvAz.jpg
[/IMG]

Then I found a pigeon feather
zKMG6ec.jpg
[/IMG]

This one was very different, it didn't really melt, but, well i dont really know how to explain this one so here's a picture :D
vy4Nt0Y.jpg
[/IMG]

then I tried to fray it a bit like so,
GS2uwys.jpg
[/IMG]

Which did catch the spark eventually, but only burned for a second or so.

Now what I think is because the difference between how the 2 feathers burnt was very big so I'm thinking that maybe other feathers will have different results? Perhaps you people could give it a go on your next outing if you spot any feathers lying around? Would be interesting to see what happens...

Thanks
Billy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hair, wool, feathers, claws and nails are all made of keratin and it don't really burn. Hence why you put a wool rug in fornt of the fire so that sparks and coals that fall out don't catch.

PS A budgie with ether and a match do a lovely dog impersonation......................WOOF!

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
103_0589.jpg100_0633.jpgA few years back i was on a camp wear it was very damp. All the wood was damp and there was not much dry tinder so after pluking a duck and a pheasant we used the feathers to get the fire going. The feathers kind of melted together and helped get the fire going. I dont think we could of lit the feathers with a spark, but the duck feathers seemed to burn better than the pheastain feathers. Maybe it was just to do with the oil in duck feathers. I think feathers are good to mix with other tinders but on there own will burn out fast.I have an orsterrich feather and its fluffy. I bet that might take a spark if it was screwed up in a little ball, who nows. It could work i dont want to ruin it as it is a quill. I think if you was to mix feathers with vasaline you would have a deffant chance. That or you will be pulling feathers off your fingers all day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE