family tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Tipi/laavvu, whatever you want to call them, families shouldn't be separated when out, there's enough of that at home.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tipi/laavvu, whatever you want to call them, families shouldn't be separated when out, there's enough of that at home.

Agree with that. The bell tents are cracking tents that'll last if looked after. I've got the 4m one for the missus and me with frontier stove in. More than enough room for two but for a family I'd say maybe get the bigger size.

Orric

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Agreed if you have babies and toddlers but a little privacy is welcome as they start to grow. My grandson is five but likes 'my room' in the Coleman for instance, its his space.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How much? Prefer new but...

My sis has the Montana for her family. Said that one stormy night they slept through and woke up to see their tent was the only one left standing!! Sounds a good selling point, but rate vango as we've got 4 between us already.

steel poles ! Won't bend everytime theres a breeze either

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i would go with the bell tent with the stove option it then extends the camping season. also if youre camping - chances are you'll be sitting outside anyway, so the kids can go inside to bed. as for privacy - how much privacy does a millimeter thick tent wall give?

one big open tent has always worked for me

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Resurrecting this old thread to update in case others looking for a family tent.

We got the Vango Maritsa 6 man tent. It's huge! 7m x 4 or 5m. Great family tent that has coped with really wet and stormy weather. Finish isn't the best, we've torn off straps, put small holes in the midge net that spread to become large holes, etc. The living area was great for our toddler to play in when bad weather keeps us in. The poles can twist in strong winds and become jammed. Overall a decent tent.

Update number 2. The Maritsa takes at least 1 hour to put up and not much quicker to take down, it's also huge when packed. These are all the reasons we need to replace. We're looking for any ideas for a 4 man tent, in synthetic fabrics, with poles not air filled beams, bedrooms, living area and either porch big enough to cook in or an extra awning option.

Anyone got any ideas? We need a tent that's smaller, easier to pitch, takes less room in the car and suitable for weekends but also week long holidays.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Wild country citadel XL

We have had ours for a few years now, we'd didn't get to use it last year due to various things happening but when we have used it I can't fault it. Tons of space, robust and stable. Doesn't take long to put up either. I think they have just stopped making them and they seam to be selling them off cheap

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Wild-Country-Citadel-XL-Tent-6-Person-sku51123601.asp?affid=137991

2.3m space in the sleeping spaces, loads of head room.

A hell of a lot of tent for that money !

ATB

Ttom

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The citadel looks a good tent but about the same size as our big tent and just as time consuming to put up. Looking for something 3/4 man and quick to put up. We've a Vango beta 3 pole little 3 man tunnel, takes 10 minutes to pitch but you can't sit out bad weather in it. A medium tent that's quick to put up is what we're needing, but still big enough to sit out a storm. Perhaps with awning accessory to make it bigger for longer trips.

In the last 2 years since we got our big tent there's been a big push by brands towards air supported tents. Indeed some large retailers stock almost all air supported tents. At a premium too. Out of our budget even a £400 Outwell I've seen on offer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE