family tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Need a family tent in the next week! Help!

Going on what could be our summer holidays in just over a week. Got a young baby too. I need a family tent with space and comfort. Thinking 5-6 man. I'm tall at 6'5" so need head room. Prefer two sleeping rooms or more. They need to have over 2m useable length. Price up to £600.

I'm into lightweight wild camping under tarp so I've no idea what's good. Like Outwell tents but pricey. Also Coleman Mackenzie 6xl and vango Maritsa. They all look interesting and reading manufacturer info they all sound perfect. Reviews I've found all seem to say they're all perfect too. I mean if you're going to post a review online then you're more likely to have had a good experience and give high scores. Not really much use if you ask me.

Anyone help with ideas and retailers? Live north Lancashire so any good tent displays nearby.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Vango Martisas are very good, I want one.

Ideal family tent should have 3 areas, bed rooms, living room, and utility area under cover. The Martisa ticks all of these.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Go outdoors do a hi gear 6 man 2 bedroom tent. I have one and its excellent!! Cost me £150

I also have an out well Vermont xl, and tbh although it cost me a grand, I think I prefers the high gear tent!!

Edit- here is a link http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-zenobia-6-p148235

It really is a good tent, check out the reviews and for £200 well worth it

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about one of these, I nearly bought one to mod with a stove.

Taunton usually have some good deals on family tents so it's worth having a look around the site.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Go outdoors are doing a tent special at the moment, the magazine came in the post today. I can highly recomend the hi gear kalahari 10 man tent. Not big enough for 10 people but excellent for a family of 4 or 5.

You can get the tent and porch (use the porch as a utility room) and still have plenty of change from £600. Maybe even get the carpet for a bit of added luxury.

Ive had mine for a few years now and its been used plenty. Stood up to high winds and plenty of rain.

hope that helps

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
no actual specific advice either, but theres a good selection of second hand ones on ebay, if its no good you've not blown a lot of time and cash.
Entire camping kits going too.

My personal favourite :

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111050239094?ru=...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=111050239094&_rdc=1

on tent type, steel pole and canvass holds up alot better than a fiberglass contraption in a force 10. Guy out well with thick long pegs! Plus with there square construction, you can use the full width of the tent !

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Vango Martisas are very good, I want one.

Ideal family tent should have 3 areas, bed rooms, living room, and utility area under cover. The Martisa ticks all of these.

Agree about 3 areas. Want 2 bedrooms, inner living area and an area that is either a fully enclosed room or a deep porch/canopy. The latter option could be one of those extra porches.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The Maritsa is cheap considering what its got. £370 for the 6 man and £130 for the canopy. Compare it to Outwell Montana 6p at £600! I think you get more for less with the vango.

Reckon you could be right about the separate canopy but if it gets windy you can just drop it and stash it until the weather improves.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The Maritsa is cheap considering what its got. £370 for the 6 man and £130 for the canopy. Compare it to Outwell Montana 6p at £600! I think you get more for less with the vango.

Reckon you could be right about the separate canopy but if it gets windy you can just drop it and stash it until the weather improves.

Aye but that's a pain to do at 2 in the morning. Believe me, I've done it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
funnily enough i have an outwell montana 6 with extention porch and carpet plus a few extras, used just once about to go on ebay... :)

How much? Prefer new but...

My sis has the Montana for her family. Said that one stormy night they slept through and woke up to see their tent was the only one left standing!! Sounds a good selling point, but rate vango as we've got 4 between us already.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've only had to re-pitch a tarp due to sudden high winds, never much more than that. Reckon you're right. It's a real pain getting out of your warm sleeping bag in the night, although I'm used to it with a young baby!

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
cant fault mine, but i would say that.:) camped all my life done all the research, good tent. got fresh high over Keswick not a ripple. but complete it will take out your budget, pm if your interested.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Go outdoors are doing a tent special at the moment, the magazine came in the post today. I can highly recomend the hi gear kalahari 10 man tent. Not big enough for 10 people but excellent for a family of 4 or 5.

You can get the tent and porch (use the porch as a utility room) and still have plenty of change from £600. Maybe even get the carpet for a bit of added luxury.

Ive had mine for a few years now and its been used plenty. Stood up to high winds and plenty of rain.

hope that helps

I've got one of these for family camping....as stated above maybe not for 10 men but two adults, two kids and a big German shepherd dog is perfect.

Definately gets my vote :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE