Evilbay Experiment - Part Deux

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Well chaps & chapesses, the auction is over, Oakleaf is the winner, he also upped the amount sent to £37.50 - thanks mate, i in turn will up this amount to £50.00 so we send in a nice round figure to Cancer Research, i will post a copy of the receipt on the site as soon as i receive it. :)

Oakleaf has had a great idea re this knife, but i will let him explain that one to you all - sorry Andy, i will start a a baseball bat for you this weekend :rolleyes:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Ok - I'll take it you are happy wth proposal as put.

Mr Moderator - not sure whether best continuing here or should be a new thread - happy to be guided by you.

Basically, I suggested the following to Maver -

I think his idea was an excellent one. All credit to him for turning a craft skill into hard cash for a worthy cause. I am very taken with the item, but to hold onto it would seem to go against the original intent and Mavers altruism.

I propose to put the item back up on E bay in the next few days - very much on basis that Maver did. All proceeds from sale will go to charity - I have nominated Combat Stress and their Hollybush House unit.

It would be ideal if the purchaser was someone who has seen this post ( I have no objection if you guys could spread the word on appropriate forums ) was the eventual winning bidder. Choice would be entirely theirs, but seems we could do a lot of good for various good causes if they too then sell it on. Effectively make the knife carving a totem.

I'll keep the item title the same on Ebay for ease of reference and post a link back here once up.

Suggest we compose a simple chain letter to accompany the knife - just outlining who owned it, when and which charity funds went to.

Hope you approve - any constructive ideas welcome.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi Andy,

Tis in the post tonight, you should have it tomorrow all being well

Mark

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheque made payable to Cancer Research has been sent today, will post a copy of the receipt when i get it.

Thanks for the support

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well done guys.... :You_Rock_

Perhaps I could add a word about Combat Stress (ex-services mental welfare charity) at Hollybush House.

I have referred a number of patients there and they have benefitted enormously. Often ex-servicemen are reluctant to see an NHS psychiatrist but will accept help from Combat Stress - they are perhaps seen as part of the service 'family'. It is probably the best place to treat service-related PTSD.

Many of my patients are also visited regularly by their welfare officer who is a retired major.

It is, without doubt, the worthiest of causes. Mental Health is not a 'fashionable' cause (not many wristbands that I can see) and many people have no idea of the suffering caused by depression, post traumatic stress, etc.

It would be a good candidate for a (possibly rotating) 'BCUK nominated charity' but that of course would be a matter for Tony and the mods.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Andy (Oakleaf),

Let me know when you readvertise it, i'll put a bid in

Mark

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Doc

Many thanks for your words regards Hollybush House - not a glamorous or well publicised issue. But the effect upon suffers - and worse still their loved ones -is enormous. It is all the sadder that those who love sufferers can rarely really understand and often can be left alienated at a time when their unconditional love is needed more than ever.

All of this happens so much behind closed doors the pain unseen, but nontheless real.

Mavers

Received Friday - but only just back in house - will try to get onto Ebay later tonight or in morning. Its a real nice piece of work - thank you again for starting this thing rolling.

Strangely, a close friend learned on Friday that his mother has stomach cancer ... as someone said earlier, these things come into all our lives.

C

cossack

started the bidding - the only time I have used Ebay, and hoped to be outbid
Kerry - Good Luck for a Good Cause

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Kerry

Many thanks - greatly appreciated.

Hurry up everybody - the saw dust is playing havoc with my Japanese Waterstones! ;)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I appreciate how irritating tin rattling is - loathe it myself. However, having put my head above the parapet on this one, feel under a certain obligation.

Bidding at circa £15 at present - thank you kindly Mavers. My Ebay isnt showing any watchers, so assuming the bids are the interest. Thats OK, but at present looking like Mavers and I are set to just pass the carving back and forth between us!

Doing this with best of intentions, fair nuff if not really working out - still worth the try.

Suppose Combat Stress is an arguable cause - I can sympathise with the view that people these days volunteer for service - eyes wide open. Equally, Government makes use of them so should properly fund reassembly of the pieces afterward. But the anguish is real and no one believes it will happen to them. The pain hits those who love sufferers hardest of all.

Realise 'Nam is flogged to death, but a short while ago a sad marker was passed; more ex-service personnel had committed suicide since the Falklands than had died in the conflict.

It is very hard or impossible to understand the way your mind goes when you get ill like this - if you read Freefall by Tom Read ( aka Charles Nish Bruce ) and actually understand anything he raves about, you really need to seek help! :rolleyes: . If you at least have become aware of Combat Stress through this thread, then that is a leap forward in itself.

Final sentences on the hanky wringing bit. The majority of my acquaintences who took their lives, did so not because of pain inside but to protect those around them. They realised their capacity to commit horror beyond what any of us would really like to dwell upon. In their confusion they still care enough to end it rather than hurt others. ( as they see it )

Ok - apologies for the lecture.

Bids arent about money for the carving, its about what every pound raised can buy.

Promise - last tin rattle. ;)

Thank you everyone that has bid thus far - really do appreciate it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oakleaf said:
Maver

Deal done - hope Paypal makes sense.

Given rest of Forum appears to have lapsed into a coma - sorry to snipe guys, but where were you? :confused: I adjusted your postage upwards to send in a reasonable amount - get in touch if a problem.

With your carving skills, can I order a lead weighted baseball bat with 'SUBTLE' carved on the striking face. Ok, Ok end of sniping.

Maver - excellent idea - thank you for your efforts on behalf of a worthy cause.

Hi guys,
Okay, this is where I am *Unsubtle*.....most of us will happily chip in a couple of quid but I'm sorry, my budget doesn't run to £37 paper knives :(
I suspect that you have actually been very clever about this altruism but it's escaping us just how we can go about helping.
Someone clarify it for me, please :confused:
Maybe a short resume of the idea, etc.? and maybe a paypal address to send a £ or two, to?

Cheers,
Toddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
andyn said:
I bid but then Maver out-bid me....LOL...didn't quite understand that.

Like Toddy said though...I don't have unlimited funds at this time of year. Sorry.

I bid an auto bid in upto £15.00, just trying to get the money up a tad

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Toddy et al,

Thank you for support - just remember its supposed to be for the treatment of combat stress, not inducing it! :)

Toddy - your point is well taken - Ebay/ Paypal etc doesnt really lend itself to collecting donations as such. Regardless, no inputation/ slur implied or intended upon anyone who isnt in a position to splash admittedly significant sums on a paper knife - or the like.

Anyone wishing to donate to Combat Stress can put those words into Google and be taken to their website, there's an online donation facility on the home page. Any gifts very much appreciated.

Current bidding is at £16 which is very pleasing.

The money is pretty important, but opportunity to raise the profile is invaluable - so thank you to all here for that.

Many thanks all.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Copy of the receipt received from Cancer Research for funds raised from the first auction posted below.

Reactions: beachlover

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE