Elm log.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Managed to score a 4' log a couple of weeks back. Have never tried to make an elm bow nor a bow made from billets so it's all new ground.

ELM_01.jpg

Had been lying for a few weeks and dried enough for a single split to form. A nice straight handy one.

ELM_02.jpg

Opened it by knocking in a hatchet then went at it with a couple of hazel wedges(just what was lying around handy).

ELM_03.jpg

Looking good.

ELM_04.jpg

Right down the middle, nice one.

ELM_05.jpg

Quartered and paired. 2' longer than I need. They should be quite an interesting shape. Although they wander around a bit there's no twist. :)

ELM_06.jpg

Tidied up a bit.

ELM_07.jpg

Next step is going at them with the draw knife and taking off the last five or six years growth. You can see on the second pic how wide and varying those rings are. I'll take it down and look to make the bows out of the more even section and hopefully work a bit of the heartwood into the handle and fades for prettiness sake.

Still to dry too of course.
:)
Josh

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
very curious to how the bow will finish, hope you'll make pics of all the steps of the process
because I'm very interested in making one in the future

great work

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
very curious to how the bow will finish, hope you'll make pics of all the steps of the process
because I'm very interested in making one in the future

great work

could i second that,...

a few pics inbetween now and finished would go down really well,....

cheers

Stu

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
nice piece of wood,in my country,very rare greenwood of that size in elm!
you can save a piece for hatchet handle!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Josh, a lovely bit of timber you've found there

Look forward to seeing it progress, you bringing it along ?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely stuff to work elm, great for bows. I made quite a few from wych elm and they turned out fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE