EDC Pens?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
My EDC Pen

Bastion Bolt Action Stainless Steel.
Refill swapped out for a fisher space-pen in black. Fine-nib.

View attachment 86144

They do a Ti version but i have large hands and much prefer a heavier pen.

The bolt action is a proper good fidget.
Smooths out after a few weeks of regular use.

The machining is so good its pretty much impossible to see the join in the barrel.

Its pretty much bomb proof and will likely outlive me.

I used to love my County Comm Stainless Embassy pen but the screw-off lid was fiddly and not condusuve to a quick jot.

These are like an embassy pen 2.0 in some ways.

I also just bought one for each of my two best mates 50th’ses.
If you don’t mind me asking what leather cover it that?

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
IMG-2589.jpg
IMG-2590.jpg
IMG-2592.jpg
IMG-2594.jpg
IMG-2593.jpg
Lovely pens. Hope you get the nib fixed and get to enjoy it even more!

In terms of shipping to the USA for repairs out of the EU/UK, I would consider using FedEx, UPS, or DHL for better tracking and insurance. USPS has been a bit sketchy recently but, I eventually got all my stuff.

Reactions: matarius777

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Lovely pens. Hope you get the nib fixed and get to enjoy it even more!

In terms of shipping to the USA for repairs out of the EU/UK, I would consider using FedEx, UPS, or DHL for better tracking and insurance. USPS has been a bit sketchy recently but, I eventually got all my stuff.
Thanks to the good people of the forum, I have a few leads to follow now.:)

Reactions: sidpost

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I’ve also got a beautiful Waterman Patrician from the 1930s that was my grandfather’s. It’s very art nouveau ish, sadly, it’s nib is broken, there was a bloke at an antiques market in London who would have restored it with a new nib for £200 which would have made it worth £800 or more, but I was a bit skint and let it slide, now he’s retired and I can’t find anyone else. Ink pens seem to be a thing of the past- a very sad state of affairs. We weren’t allowed to use ball pens at school, my writing is terrible with one, it just slide across the paper, unlike a pen that has some friction.
Don’t suppose anyone on here has any ideas or contacts?
@matarius777 : I suggest you go to the "Fountain Pen Network" forum. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Look for user "Oxonian"

He is a well regarded restorer and nib fettled, he usually attends the big Pen Shows too.

If he's retired (it's a couple of years since I have been to a pen show) then the UK based folks on there will be able to assist.

GC

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its genuinely rare that I need a pen, just on invoice day.
Then I have a carpenters pencil sharpened to a chisel point for work (carpenter appropriately enough) and a lumber crayon for marking the frame codes on timber frames.

Got a pen in the van. Maybe if I was an officewallah I'd be interested in them but for me it's just not happening.

Reactions: gg012

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
@matarius777 : I suggest you go to the "Fountain Pen Network" forum. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Look for user "Oxonian"

He is a well regarded restorer and nib fettled, he usually attends the big Pen Shows too.

If he's retired (it's a couple of years since I have been to a pen show) then the UK based folks on there will be able to assist.

GC
Thank you, I’ll look into it,I think it might be a case of restoring the nib if it’s possible. :)

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
That is a good site for pens, pencils, and related stuff.
Thanks! Actually just tried to join, not sure if it’s because I’m using an iPhone, but it’s a devil of a job. You have to provide answers to two questions- slight issue of the questions not showing. :( Tried signing in through Facebook, also not working:banghead2: I’ll get there in the end though, I’m nothing, if not a stubborn so’n’so.
That beautiful, fully working Waterman is shimmering on the horizon, just have to put one foot after another and I’ll get there. :sulk:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Cult pens have the new kaweco p8ston filler pens. Slightly bigger than their eco sport pens. Basically instead of having to use small cartridges or a converter with bottled ink, you turn the end to pull back a piston which sucks the ink into the reservoir. These generally fit more ink in which is better considering the kaweco pens are quite small.

Anyway, kaweco are a good brand so it should make for a decent pen.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
...new kaweco p8ston filler pens.
Well, that's about time. Not to say long overdue, given that Kaweco have never managed to produce a converter worthy of the name. Happily for my bank account they've gone with aluminium; absolutely cannot abide aluminium pens.

matarius777, FPN has a bit of a history of being difficult to sign up for. Might be worth using the contact form.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
IMG_20240316_120612431.jpgI have several pens in my handbag, but this one lives in my pocket at all times. It's a Kaweco AL sport filled with DeAtramentis document ink

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Kaweco make nice solid pens and pencils. Pity the converter is so small.
I used to refill cartridges, but now I’ve decided it’s easier to just top up the converter every now and then, so I’ve bought a bunch of converters and am slowly swapping over.

Liked idea of their new piston-filler (not my colour but more will come with time I’m sure), until I saw the price…

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I used to refill cartridges, but now I’ve decided it’s easier to just top up the converter every now and then, so I’ve bought a bunch of converters and am slowly swapping over.

Liked idea of their new piston-filler (not my colour but more will come with time I’m sure), until I saw the price…
Yeah around €177 IIRC, seems a bit saucy. Especially considering the brass and stainless fountain pens I posted above are solid, all metal construction, for ~ €80.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yeah around €177 IIRC, seems a bit saucy. Especially considering the brass and stainless fountain pens I posted above are solid, all metal construction, for ~ €80.
Yeah, they were about £130 and that’s way more than I’m willing to pay for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE