Dumping "Essentials" after the Bushmoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Who else took a load of "essentials" to the Bushmoot only to never touch or use them?

I came in by train so everything I took had to be carried, but going through my kit after 6 days/5 nights at the bushmoot (my longest backpack-based trip so far) I've seen a load of "essentials" that actually aren't!

I'm going to gather all of my "essentials" together and make a list and weigh them, and I shall post them up tonight :lmao:

Anyone else in the same boat?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I camped with a bunch of pals and mainly used their cooking kit.... but I would always take as much as possible for a static camp (a van full) as you never know what might come in useful :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This was my third Moot, and I've pared things down a bit each year. However, with a static camp and car, I still want to be comfortable. So it ended up this year with plenty of kit, but when I unpacked it all I did make a mental note and had, in fact, made use of most of what I took.

Geoff

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Every Moot I seem to take more :D
My first one I had all my gear (including food for the entire Moot) in one 50L rucksack.
I usually travel by train though so I have to travel fairly light.

I find that Moots, like the Meets that happen every now and then, are more of a "show and tell" where people take more stuff than they would normally.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I used everything except my blanket (in the boot of the car) and dehydrated pack of food = )

Did take me three days to pack one rucksack though...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I camped with a bunch of pals and mainly used their cooking kit.... but I would always take as much as possible for a static camp (a van full) as you never know what might come in useful :)

As John said we shared camp with a couple other guys (Decorum & Dr Jones) so we shared a lot of kit which meant we all had some redundant stuff but that's better than not having it :rolleyes:

And as Wayland says, for meets and the moot live in comfort, There'll be plenty of chances to go down the minimalist route at other times.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Of course if I was in a car I would certainly be living much more comfortably than I did this year - a chair for one! I even toyed with the idea of loading up my 125cc Honda and riding 4.5 hours down but I decided against it in the end as it would still involve me having a rucksack on for the entire journey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE