Duluth Bushcrafter Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I think I added an inch all round to come up with 35L, can't remember. Is that an accurate way of measuring the volume of a canvas bag? No idea, sorry.:)

If the same measurements were used in a cylinder (44 perimeter, 17 height), it would be 42L. So 35L is probably a good estimate. I guess.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
In a similar vein to the Duluth pack you might want to look at this one from LL Bean for less than 1/3 of the cost of the Duluth pack:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

I'm not sure if LL Bean has a presence in the UK, but it's an old and well known outdoor supplier in the US. As with many things, their older stuff is often better made than the new, but still they do good work. I used to live in their wet weather boots when I lived in Alaska.

These packs are made in China, however, and I can assume the craftsmanship -- while certainly serviceable -- won't be up to Duluth standards.

But for the money, it looks pretty tempting to me....

Yup, your right, its a great pack for the money.

I have had one for a couple of years ish and still going strong, unfortunately had to order direct as there are no outlets for these in the UK.

S8002736.jpg

S8002737.jpg

S8002735.jpg

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Another potentially interesting option would be to develop a removable canvas pocket, a bit like the PLCE in concept, that could be attached to the pack or carried apart to hold basics once the camp has been setup. I don't think there is any canvas/old school alternative to the popular PLCE.

I do that by one of two strategies. Either I use my "Indiana Jones" shoulder bag as a "misc" storage cpompartment inside the main pack, or I have a tubular 35 L stuff sack (bough from Fjällräven in the 80's) that I have converted to a backpack (small lid+shoulder straps) that contains food when canoeing (same notion as a wannigan, but in fabric), but can contain anything.

Back in the 3/4 length external frame days this one often rode under the main pack; very good for canoeing, not ideal carrying ergonomics for hiking if filled with food.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Yup, your right, its a great pack for the money.

I have had one for a couple of years ish and still going strong, unfortunately had to order direct as there are no outlets for these in the UK.

S8002736.jpg

S8002737.jpg

S8002735.jpg

Chopper, thanks loads for the additional photos! With your pictures, I'm REALLY liking that pack now -- at $99 it's hard to match that with other packs. Wish it was made in the US, though.

Can you tell me something? In the photos on the LLBean site, it appears that leather loops on the sides are for wands (or axes) and that there is a slot behind the side pockets to allow the handle to slide behind the pocket.

Is this the case?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hi dogwood, Your right about the slots behind the side pockets, they are full width of the pocket and open each end.

Dont worry about it not being made in the US, it really is very well made throughout the whole pack.

It looks like they have added a waist belt which I dont have on mine, but other than that it is the same.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Hi dogwood, Your right about the slots behind the side pockets, they are full width of the pocket and open each end.

Oh, that's great! I think I now have something for my family to get me for Christmas.

Dont worry about it not being made in the US, it really is very well made throughout the whole pack.

That's good to know, thanks.

My main concern about things being made off shore is that I've got a profound bias toward giving my money to smaller manufacturers and/or more locally sourced goods whenever possible.

However, in this case, since the alternative are massively more expensive, I think I'm going to bite the bullet :) And anyway, LL Bean are good Maine folks anyway.

Thanks loads for the reply!

It looks like they have added a waste belt which I dont have on mine, but other than that it is the same.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.[/QUOTE]

Oct 27, 2009
Washington State, USA
Nice post.

Call me sad and/or misguided if you will but the problem here is one of aesthetics:

You go to all that trouble and expense to track-down a usable retro styled piece of kit and then, not content with backwoods inspired canvas and leather, they graft on BLACK nylon webbing and plastic fixtures!:aargh4:

I see how the compression system works that much easier than leather & buckle but surely the designer could have at least envisaged brown webbing and matching quick release fasteners??

Hello everyone,

This is Mike from Bushcraft Northwest. I've been wanting to join this forum for a while and thought this would be a great opportunity as I wanted to respond to some of your concerns on the Bushcrafter pack. We tried several prototypes with various materials, and the leather straps just didn't work for the hipbelt or compression system. As much as I like traditional materials, I have to go with function over form. On the other hand, I really want to thank you all for mentioning the color of the nylon. I spoke with Tom Sega at Duluth Pack and the new packs will all have brown nylon to match the color of the leather. Still working on the fasteners! Also, we honestly did the best we could on the price to make the pack as accessible as possible. The Bushcrafter just has a lot of features, is handmade in the US with the best possible materials, and has a full lifetime guarantee. It just all added up on us, but I didn't want to cut features to save a little money. If you are like me and go through gear every year that can not handle off trail and hard use, the pack will pay for itself in a short amount of time. I've had nothing but good luck with Duluth Pack products which is why I approached them first with my design. I think I may be the happiest of all as I finally have a pack that is tough as nails, comfortable, and does what I need a pack to do! :)

Anyway, thanks again and please keep sending me comments or suggestions on how to make this pack even better.

Take good care,
Mike Lummio
BCNW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE