Dug out canoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Anyone have any examples, recommendations or tips?

The suggestion that there might be a log to hack on up at Loch Tay has struck a bit of a nerve.
Finding out that my folks have an adze that they bought for the house renovation 15 years ago has really set me off on one.

So, I know nothing and am up for tossing ideas about.:)

Posting on SotP as well. The thread is here:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=60794

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
One of those?

2007-08-30-2232-21.jpg

I'll post the rest of the article is that's what you're looking for.;)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I think they're looking at making four up at the Crannog. Two burn and scrape method and the other two chainsawed out just to make the numbers up. Should be fun.

If anyone is going up for that, and fancies making themselves a replica iron age adze I can do some instructions. All you need is an old plane blade and a lump of wood and some leather or rawhide thong.

Eric

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, it's a cool idea and I'd be up for having a go - but if "experienced craftsmen ... could completely shape and finish an average canoe in just three weeks", I think we may have our work cut out for us... ;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Cracking wee article jojo, thanks for that. Thinking about it, stone tools would likely chip away at charred wood quite well.

Pierre dropped me a line advocating steaming out the thinned hull by filling it with water and hot rocking while jacking out the gunnals. It's a fascinating thought. I'd always thought of dugouts as chunky, thick-walled affairs.

He also mentioned calipers. You wouldn't happen to have a set of huge novelty calipers Eric?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of the Bronze/Iron Age activities I do with kids is scraping out a burned bowl using both flint and bronze scrapers; the flint always wins :D

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The callipers are just two 'S' shaped pieces of wood. One is reversed and they are pinned through the middle. When you pinch the side of the canoe with the bottom half of the callipers, the gap reflected in the top half shows the thickness at that point. Easy peasy!

Eric

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I think they're looking at making four up at the Crannog. Two burn and scrape method and the other two chainsawed out just to make the numbers up. Should be fun.

If anyone is going up for that, and fancies making themselves a replica iron age adze I can do some instructions. All you need is an old plane blade and a lump of wood and some leather or rawhide thong.

Eric

Sounds like an elbow adze? As it happens I just made a nice decent length of rawhide rope from an old drumhead (real sort that I got for a few pence in a charoty shop) I cut it into a spiral, soaked it then twist it round and round till it goes cylindrical then stretch it. When I want to use it I'll soak it again. I saw an african drum maker do that to recycle his old drum head's. Seeing as I am working on plans to build a umiak, I thought why not build an elboew adze to shape parts and a bow drill as well to do the lash holes out of respect to the inuit crats tradition, and do as they did.
For dug out canoe boat building check out damian goodburn the mad axe man who appears on time team from time to time :D

http://www.logontothesevern.co.uk/blog/wp-gallery2.php

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The callipers are just two 'S' shaped pieces of wood. One is reversed and they are pinned through the middle. When you pinch the side of the canoe with the bottom half of the callipers, the gap reflected in the top half shows the thickness at that point. Easy peasy!

Eric

I think they are called Double-ended outside calipers
picture here

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A lot of effort in making one but they will last decades instead of a few years like a birch bark one would

I think they were using some in some places in GB up to the medieval times.

Has anyone got any comprehensive infor on GB boat discoveries??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's actually an incredibly complex subject.

Usually the information comes from specific sites under investigation; the ships of the Port of London for instance, which has a Phoenician craft among it's bronze age log boats and medieval barges.
Many of the Universities also have lists, Boats and Ships of Ireland at the University of Ulster, as an example, or the Scottish Trust for Underwater Archaeology, associated with the Crannog and the log boat that's sitting underwater near the modern building (the boat was well over 10m long)
We consider the Iron age to be the beginning of clinker built boats in this country ( the Solent finds, I think )

cheers,
Toddy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Page 3 beauty!

2007-09-01-0655-13.jpg

Page 4.

2007-09-01-0659-02.jpg

page 5

2007-09-01-0700-40.jpg

That's it , the whole article.

There are a couple of different ideas on how to check the shape and the thickness of the "planking".

I remember reading an article once somewhere about using water and hot stones to soften the hull enough to expand the sides of large North West Coast canoes like this one:
2007-09-01-0718-49.jpg

The scanned pic isn't great but shows the sgape of the canoe quite well.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I rthink with some canoe style's they carve the form out of a narrow log, but then form the sides into a wider form by heat (steam bending or thermo forming basically, with battons wedgd in to keep the form pushed out till it sets, similar to how they set up the gunwahles to build a kayaq), so a 3 foot wid boat might of come out of a 2 foot log or whatever. I think some of the african brother's do a similar method also.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's odd sometimes comparing methods from around the world. There are places that are still making things, places with their own designs and others where, like here, all you have to go on are chance finds in peat bogs..

Brings up that whole "Is absence of evidence evidence of absence?" issue.
It's possible to build a dugout with a keel, rocker and splayed gunnels but have they ever cropped up in the region and time period in question?

P.S. I now have my grubby mits on a two handed adz:approve:, cleared for group use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE