down sleeping bag bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hi Chaps,

I've got one massive luxury sleeping bag for when in the car/boat, and another lightweight tiny down bag for bushcrafting and the like. This Q regards the latter...

I read a day or two ago that down bags should actually not be stored under compression, but loosely packed, which of course makes perfect sense but I hadn't previously considered. The article also mentioned the best place to store them is a cotton bag, and that you can buy purpose built ones (it also mentioned that some down bags come with their own storage bags; mine didnt!).

Do you guys store yours loosely, and if so, what do you store it in? Anyone know where to get purpose built bag bags?

Cheers
Pirran

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Don't have a down one yet, but I've also read that it's better to store it in a loose bag.

Alpkit.com gives 2 bags with their sleepingbags, one compression strap and one cotton storage bag, so they might sell it seperately.

I think it's easy to make a cotton one yourself though.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I have a RAB down sleeping bag which came with a bag similar to a large cotton pillowcase for storage. You may be able to get them from RAB or just buy a big pillowcase!! basically as long as the filling is not under pressure it will work fine.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have an alpkit bag and I store it in the big cotton sack that it came in. All my other sleeping bags (down and synthetic) I store spread out flat in the loft. For that matter, that's how I store my thermarest-type sleeping mats too.

The only advantage the sack has over the other bags is I guess it stops any dust etc and keeps it that little bit cleaner than the others. I'm sure you could make the equivalent by sewing a single sheet in two. I can't see it making that much difference: for ease I'd lay the sleeping bags out flat in the loft and cover them with the cheapest single cotton sheet you can find to keep them clean.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For the god knows how many years I have been storing down bags and jackets under lots and lots of compression... sure... people say it's bad but don't knock it until you've tried it because all my stuff has been fine for many many years and takes up little room.

Anyone who thinks these items are kept in warehouses, distribution centres and shops all nice and uncompressed is well... incorrect ;)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Skybandit,

hello and welcome,

just to let you know what i do. I carry my bag in the bergan in a compression sack, but when it's not being used or in it's sack, i open mine up and use the military issue laundry bag. It's a poly cotton net bag about the size of a bin liner. The holes in the net are approx 5mm and the net itself (the bit between the holes) is 3mm. It does not compress the bag, it's net so it will allow the bag to 'air out' and it keeps the bag in one place so it does not snag on anything. Then, when i'm due to go out, the last thing i do before i re-pack my bergan is take it out of the laundry bag and into the stuff sack. I think the laundry bag's are available for pence so have a look around the surplus shops and on line. The NATO stock number is 8465-99-132-1441.

They are very useful bit's of kit to have around and they fold up to nothing.

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hi Guys,

Many thanks indeed for your opinions and ideas on this....I'll come up with something using your ideas over the weekend I think. :D

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i have mine winter sleeping bag haging on my room door and mine summer one is hanging inside a closet.

Keep it loose in storage and it will last much longer.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have a RAB down sleeping bag which came with a bag similar to a large cotton pillowcase for storage. You may be able to get them from RAB or just buy a big pillowcase!! basically as long as the filling is not under pressure it will work fine.

Yeah, me too - but I ended up using the storage bag to store bags. I keep my doss bags hanging up in a cupboard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE