Double bit axe wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Does anybody know where I can source a (reasonably priced) double bit axe, similar in size to the SFA (or slightly smaller). I have a 'hunter' and have just ordered a 'mini'; and am looking for a 'big-brother' for them ... and love the double bit shape. Cheers. :)

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
I've ben in PM contact with 'outdoorcode' and he can get me a Gransfors double-bit 'working axe', but that's (strangely) not quite what I'm looking for. Although I love the Gransfors range, to me this model doesn't look 'in proportion', with the head being too big. I have a picture in my head of what I'm looking for (what ... telepathy isn't a BC skill?) having seen several in Alaska and B.C. where they seen fairly popular. I'm sure that I've seen a picture of something similar either here or on BB forum recently, but can't find it now. :confused:

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
OldJimbo said:
I believe what you are looking for is a double bit cruiser - 8" across the blades and usually 3 3/4-4" edges. Usually with 28' handles. Am I close?

Sounds about right

then again if you want to spend a little more you can get a Lee Reeve Double Bit Axe http://members.tripod.com/ssidders/id69.htm

Now here's somebody who shows that telepathy does work ... beeeaaauutiful or what? Sadly I'm sure that this will be reflected in the price, as well as the shipping. :( Anybody have/seen one for real?

I'll try to find something like the 'cruiser' over here, and if not, I'd better start saving

A cruiser is something completely different from a double bladed hatchet. It's the most efficient chopping tool you can get on a 28" or 24: handle. It's that way because of the balance and the fact that cuts aren't wasted by inaccuracy. It's also a dangerous tool, because of the length and double blades - so even if a person knows how to use one, it always has to be babysat in case someone else wants to pick it up and give it a try. And it's not something a person wants to walk around with, if the blades are unsheathed, even with caulked boots.
I sure love doubles and I have more than most and use them more than most - but only for specific tasks like trail clearing.
But - fabulous ones come up regularly on ebay for decent prices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE