Do you want to feed the owls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
We only get tawny owls here at the moment, they’re doing an excellent job of controlling field voles and wood mice. No shortage of food for them here. I do feed the buzzards and kites though.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How lucky of you to get so close to such wonderful birds.
I rarely see owls, but often hear them.
We ard very fortunate that pur area supports a very large owl population so they pop in and put most days. We've been invited back as often as we like to get to know these guys which is lovely

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think we qualify for owl feeders - we have a couple of acres of very rough pasture and that's full of wildlife and riddled with voles.

We mainly get tawny owls, some years they nest in our woodland and the young fledglings are often in our garden. We get the occasional barn owl, adults when the weather is poor, or the odd young one when they first leave their parents.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we qualify for owl feeders - we have a couple of acres of very rough pasture and that's full of wildlife and riddled with voles.

We mainly get tawny owls, some years they nest in our woodland and the young fledglings are often in our garden. We get the occasional barn owl, adults when the weather is poor, or the odd young one when they first leave their parents.
A few boxes might be nice. Ours have never been occupied as we live within established varn and little owl territories. I might try a Tawny box though as they are infrequent visitors

Reactions: slowworm

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Our Tawnies are almost like pets. They come around the house quite early each evening and as soon as I open the back door they call as though saying 'good evening!'.

I often call to them and they'll fly into the closest tree to see who this fool is that thinks he speaks Tawny :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've looked at owl boxes, along with bat boxes and kestrel boxes, and I'll probably install a few when I can. Just a bit worried about all the ash die back at the moment and finding a place where I can site some boxes and leave them be.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Our Tawnies are almost like pets. They come around the house quite early each evening and as soon as I open the back door they call as though saying 'good evening!'.

I often call to them and they'll fly into the closest tree to see who this fool is that thinks he speaks Tawny :)
The Little Owls do that for us. Perching on garden chairs and fruit bushes and calling even in daylight

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've looked at owl boxes, along with bat boxes and kestrel boxes, and I'll probably install a few when I can. Just a bit worried about all the ash die back at the moment and finding a place where I can site some boxes and leave them be.
Around here they don't use the same ones each year (although the barn owls like some ruined buildings although different spots inside them). I suspect moving them would be okay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE