Do you take a dog with you ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I just wondered if anyone takes a friend with them when they go out, I'm talking about the four legged variety :rolmao:

A well trained dog can be a benefit in all sorts of ways. the down side is you would to carry it's food as well :!:

Cheers

Mark

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Buckshot said:
A well trained dog can be a benefit in all sorts of ways. the down side is you would to carry it's food as well :!:

You can buy small pannier backpacks for dogs, or you could even make your own then the dog can carry its own food

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
like this

theferretstore_1777_10271195

they can carry there own water. food, collapsable bowl etc

make sure its evenly loaded though

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i had a slightly disturbing manager that was into survival that had a dog, he said if it came to it he would eat it! :shock: :yikes:

not only a mans best friend but a travelling meal too! :-( :yikes:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
thats what all the early polar explorers did, make your rations pull your kit then tuck in

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
differance is his dog was(still is) the family pet not some work animal!

:shock:

he was a bit strnge though, surely the security aspect of a dog is pretty useful?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm not sure that GSD is ejoying carrying that beer by the look on his face.

I take it from the replies no-one takes a dog when they go about then :!:

Cheers

Mark

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Ofcourse the dog comes along. He's one of the reasons iam out and about so much. No problem foraging in the woods with him for fungi's and birchbark.
He loves long distance walks and as he walks/runs 3 times what we do, you gotta admire his stamina when your exhausted ! He can run along side my mountain bike upto about 30 MPH and still do 20K running he lot.
Bivvying he's a pain in the neck he always barks at the dawn chorus, and the one time he slept in my hammock he barked at everything that moved including the snails i wreckon. Slept much better the next night dossed under a hedge tho.
He's scared of guns even air rifles, but is good at finding shot game and pinning down wounded critters, which is invaluable. But generally he's a useless hunter. And stalking - forget it, he bounds through the woods like tigger on happy pills! Incidentally He is called Blackwood, or woody for short. We found him while driving through the woods one night. a pair of eyes glowing at us out of the darkness. He crossed the headlights, a black dog, i stopped the car got out a called to him in the darkness. He looked, vanished and reappeared behind me, sniffed nervously,cowered and approached, licked my hand and dived into the car. Been with us ever since. He was about 6 months old, a skeleton on legs, pads all worn through.starving, We stopped at a friends house where he ate all three of there dogs dinners! He's a lovely affectionate daft labrador lurcher cross, probably abandoned by the gypsies when they wer moved on a couple of weeks earlier. Not quite the gift from Hern I had envisaged but a great friend just the same. We named him blackwood, he's black we found him in the woods. The Blackwood arms also happened to be the name of the nearest pub :roll: where we stopped that night to see if he had an owner. No one ever claimed him, and the landlord allowed us to keep him. and we all lived happily ever after....
So yes I take him everywher i can with me. Though he's now been banned from the office :cry:
Thanks for your time
Rich :wink:

D

Dutchman

Buckshot said:
I just wondered if anyone takes a friend with them when they go out, I'm talking about the four legged variety

We often go fishing together :lol:
39c.jpg

Cheers,
Frank

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Though he's now been banned from the office

that's funny, twice my dogs been into work with me in the evenings, twice she's walked in through the door, wandered round, sniffed, and dropped a great big steaming king richard in the middle of the workshop :oops:

obviously a good judge of character! :lol:

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE