Do it all family car £5k

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Subaru Forester is worth considering.

I have one and till that I had another one , those cars are great I can tell , when we were hunting once with two cars out forester and land cruiser 100 , I can tell that we drove way better and with no problems compared to land cruiser , on any turrain we drove with less effort .

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We looked at a grand Picasso too. The dsg auto gearbox would have been new for us, never driven auto car before. Loved the way they handle space and storage. Just amazing the number of cubbyholes built into it.

We found one good example in our top end of the budget but the salesman was a slimy, misogynist that my partner detested with a passion. He talked serious car and price stuff with me and my lass got comments about it being a nice colour. I've never met such a patronising, misogynist dinosaur before. I can't remember all his comments but do remember my partner wouldn't let me go back for it. There weren't any decent c4 Picasso's near us so we went for another car.

Anyone else been totally put off by a salesman? What did he/she do or say?

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Jeep Grand Cherokee, either mk1 or mk2, go for 4.0 petrol with LPG conversion. Should be able to pick them up for anything between £500 and £2000.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Citroen Berlingo Multispace.

A surprisingly spacious car, bit of a Pope-mobile but with masses of space and well thought out.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I looked at Octavia estate car once,and thought there wasn't much leg room for rear passengers?
I had a old hdi berlingo and it was cheap to run,only thing nagged me was heavy clutch pedal (common issue) and I had the glass panel roof model which soon as it was sunny my head burnt and I had to wear a hat,
we have a 14 plate xtr berlingo now ,nice car can't really fault it.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I have a new Octavia estate, replacing a former one bought new that served me well for 14 years and nearly 600,000 miles. I am just over 6' and have slept comfortably on the back seat, and in the back with Madame Le B. on many occasions. As long as you've got a decent sleeping mat under you, it's good for a comfortable night (such as when you arrive late at a camp site and it's dark or raining stair rods and you can't be arsed to pitch camp). Good, reliable, safe cars. In effect you're getting a VW estate (which I'd always had one of previously) minus badge and some bodywork details, for a lot less money. And they hold their value well. Never had any complaints about legroom from rear passengers, either.

I looked at Octavia estate car once,and thought there wasn't much leg room for rear passengers?
I had a old hdi berlingo and it was cheap to run,only thing nagged me was heavy clutch pedal (common issue) and I had the glass panel roof model which soon as it was sunny my head burnt and I had to wear a hat,
we have a 14 plate xtr berlingo now ,nice car can't really fault it.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Any VW group car in budget that suits will be reliable for many, many miles. Ford mondeo is also a solid contender here.

Tonyuk

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Hyundai Santa fe? Not great for maintaining their value so you could pick up a bargain, most will have full service history for 5 years +. The outlaws have had 2 with no major issues, just wear n tear. I had the Trajet for 8 years with no issues. VW T5 and loving it now.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
We have a Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6 manual, my sister had the auto gearbox but hated it; not very economical.

Ours has been packed to the rafters with a roof box on , and still didn't struggle.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've always had Fords or Vauxhalls but we decided on a change. We got a SEAT Altea XL. Plenty of room even more than our previous Astra estate 2002 model. The newer Astra estates seem to have less capacity than the older models. I guess they're pushing Astra estate owners on to Zafira cars, I'd prefer the Astra estate myself.

The one thing we're sure of with our next car. That is we won't be getting a vw, Skoda, Audi, SEAT, etc. IME with our current car it is just so expensive to maintain compared to Vauxhalls and Ford's. For example, you can not but wipers at Halfords or independent motor factors. They just don't stock them. In our area we have to go to the local SEAT main dealer for wipers. Everything is just more expensive without any valid reason for it. Trust me I've experience of companies that make aftermarket parts for many makes and models of cars. VW parts are nothing special but command a premium over Ford's abd Vauxhalls. I find that annoying.

Santa Fe are 4x4s IIRC. Aren't they expensive to maintain? Aren't 4x 4s generally more complex resulting in bigger repair bills?

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
My discovery 2 serves us well. They can have problems though, just like every car so I guess you'd have to weigh that up. I do all my own maintenance and its not our only car so its do-able for me, but may not be for you lol

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I'm fortunate that I'm in the trade but just serviced my altea 2.0 tdi for less than 90 quid with genuine parts.
That's oil,oil filter,air filter,fuel filter and pollen filter also a new sump plug.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE