Desert Elephants - hunting permit issued

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I know that this seems very far away for most of you but I came across this article and I am seriously concerned. Please read the following and if you feel the same way I do maybe a bit of international weight could make a difference.
Please either contact EHRA through their website or email elephant@iway.na for info on how to help.
Thanks everyone

From The Namibian 31st July...:(

Last desert elephants in firing line

JOHN GROBLER
SERIOUS alarm has been raised over official plans to shoot three of Namibia's rare desert-adapted elephant bulls in the Kunene Region as trophies for big-game hunters, which conservationists fear could cause a collapse in their dwindling numbers.

The permits for shooting what could be three of only five breeding-age elephant bulls left were issued in spite of warnings that this was unsustainable in a population that already showed alarming signs of high natural mortality and genetic problems due to in-breeding.

Documentation seen by The Namibian shows that the Ministry of Environment and Tourism had issued three hunting permits to six conservancies in the Kunene Region for shooting three elephant bulls in the current hunting season.

These conservancies, controlled by the local communities, typically sell their rights on to professional hunting companies, earning on average about N$60 000 per elephant.

The professional hunting firms however sell these on to wealthy hunters willing to pay up to US$60 000 for the privilege of bagging such a rare trophy.

The desert elephant, so called because of their smaller stature and physical adaptation to their arid environment, range in the dry riverbeds of southern Kunene where they feed primarily on Ana tree pods.

Regarded as a keystone species in the local eco-system, they are also a key attraction in Namibia's estimated N$6,2 billion tourism industry.

While the elephant largely keep to unpopulated areas, increasing encroachment from pastoral farmers have over the past years has brought them into conflict with local communities.

A man was killed in the Bergsig area late last year by a bull which a local NGO said had become aggressive after he had been previously shot at.

The Ministry has not, as far as could be established, conducted any recent census of the elephant population but apparently based its decisions on complaints from local communities about "problem animals."

According to research by Australian researcher Dr Keith Leggett, there are fewer than 240 of these elephant left in the southern Kunene Region, ranging from the Ugab to the Bergsig area further north.

Elephant-Human Relations Aid (EHRA), a NGO that constantly monitors these elephants and manage conflict between the elephants and local populations by constructing elephant-proof water points, however says there are fewer than 60 adult cows, and as of 2006, only five bulls of breeding age.

EHRA's Johannes Haasbroek believes their and Leggett's data overlap, as the elephant range up 70 kilometres in a single day, with the herds of about six to 10 animals moving between rivers in search of food and water.

Even more alarmingly, EHRA reported on their website that they have only spotted three breeding-age bulls over the past few months -the same number as the trophies now up for sale.

The three permits appear to have been issued by Director of Wildlife Management Ben Beytell, in spite of several recommendations by the Ministry's own staff to the contrary.

Despite several efforts to contact Beytell yesterday, he did not return any phone calls.

No other officials were willing to comment, referring all queries to Beytell.

Dr Betsy Fox, who formerly headed the Ministry's Outjo offices, in April warned in an official letter to her seniors that the elephant population in the Kunene Region could not sustain such a loss of bulls.

Dr Fox urged Minister Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, Beytell and Head of Scientific Services Fanuel Demas to immediately rescind the hunting permits for the elephant bulls.

Referring to earlier reports she had made, Fox warned that high natural mortality - EHRA puts calf mortality as high as 80 per cent - did not support the decision to issue hunting permits, a view that was shared by all her colleagues in the Kunene Region, she wrote.

Killing a key tourist attraction was short-sighted and could damage Namibia's international reputation as a tourist destination, Fox cautioned.

"I think the Ministry officials who approved these quotas are not thinking in terms of the best conservation measures for the keystone species in the Kunene Region, but are succumbing to pressure from conservancies to earn quick bucks," Dr Fox wrote.

Dr Fox has since left Namibia, and could not be reached for comment.

But Haasbroek, while declining to comment on specifics, expressed the fear that it was already too late, as professional hunting outfits were already in the area.

"It's open season out there on the last of the last desert elephants," he said.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Maybe I'm being cynical here but this looks awfully familiar, I think the problem is money. Obviously the conservationist don't pay enough and the hunting groups do.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Yes obviously money is involved and I can understand the argument for hunting in areas to prevent poaching, bring money to communities and encourage people to conserve the wildlife as it is 'valuable'. (This is another long argument though, I'm not saying I agree, just understand). This however is potentially going to wipe out the last three remaining bulls of a highly endangered animal. The problem is that the elephant is considered a pest because they are incredibly destructive to farmers water holes and crops. What EHRA are trying to do is implement simple alternatives to killing the elephants so that they are no longer a pest.
Culling the elephants also seems to me to be very short sighted, as getting rid of the areas top tourist attraction is ultimately going to lose them big bucks!
Just my thoughts, take them as such.....

leon-1

Yes to a degree money will always be involved, but Safari's to bring people to see these animals in the wild does bring in a fair amount of money, in the long term a lot more than a one off kill will do.

With a lot of farms having been mechanized (people are using tractors and such) a lot of people have been laid off from farming communities as the tractor makes them redundant. Mechanization has caused a lot of problems.

They are talking about hunting companies paying $60,000 Namibian. Then they are talking about the hunters paying $60,000 US dollars, the difference between the cost of the licence and what the hunting companies gets is considerable. $60,000 USD equates to about $440,000 Namibian dollars and the profit made from this money does not go back into the community. It's blatant profiteering at the cost of a keystone species, we don't yet know what the knock on effect from that will be.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The key point is not how much money is being made, but

WHO

is making it!

It's the same old problem, over and over, just a different location. Greed.

And even most of those conservationist/preservationists follow the same motivations in the end. (big "foundation", big salary, big offices, big social functions, etc. -all to live well)

Just my humble jaded thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Yes to a degree money will always be involved, but Safari's to bring people to see these animals in the wild does bring in a fair amount of money, in the long term a lot more than a one off kill will do.

Have you got any proof of that?

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I'd like to go on one of those safari's with the big game hunters, only not to hunt game but to hunt the hunters see how brave they are when the game shoots back. Makes me want to spit, if they needed the food OK maybe, but not for something they call sport.:AR15firin

Sorry about the rant, but it is the way I feel about that type of hunting.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
my grandad was involved with the masai mara, richard leakey and the flying doctor servoce so I've discussed this with him in the past - elephants are becoming a problem in some areas thanks to a successfull anti poaching campaign. if they aren't able to relocate them then they have to cull them like the kruger does. the animals are either thinned out or the groups will starve due to the overly destructive way elephants graze. the hunters pay a huge fee but they dont get to pick the animal and the local tribes get to keep the animal for meat which much needed. the fees to the park help sustain the anti poaching and preservation of lesser species still in danger. it also uses the money to help feed the tribes, provide schooling or water projects or even to relocate them outside the national park areas.

the hunters dont even get the head or the ivory just a picture for their wall. its also relatively low impact unlike the modern safari's where they want airconditioning, haute cuisine and permanent running hot water instead of the tents of old. if the only tourism these areas got was low impact hunting then they would actually fare better.

it might not be to everyones taste but it is working to preserve small areas from being ravaged so it is actually a good thing. if only they would legalise euthanasia to sort the human problems out. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE