Denatured Alcohol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I reckon the age thing would be less of an issue if you bought it from a small, local general store in the more hilly areas of UK. I know a lot of them do sell meths. There's one on the way to Wasdale in the Lakes for example that sells all the usual provisions plus outdoor gear, gas, stoves, meths and other stuff you might need such as ear plugs. As well as quite possibly being less stringent on the age requirement for meths camping fuel you would be supporting a local business which is very important in these more rural areas IMHO. IF they do prevent you buying it then just wait outside with your ruckack on and ask their next customer to buy it for you.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
AS far as height above can meths stoves is concerned, isn't it a case of the type of stove you've made, i.e. open or closed. One needs the centree opening to be closed off once it has bloomed to allow the jets to form. A good example is the whitebox stove. I have the AGG cookset which comes with a can stove that also needs the pot to rest over the opening. Other types need the pot to be held off the can.

I might be wrong as I'm no expert on them. There is an expert who regularly posts on a different outdoors forum who is kind of a UK expert on meths stoves, windshields and caldera clones, etc. He was the inventor of the squeezebox stove/windshield that won the Alpkit innovation competition at last year's Outdoor Show. I am sure if you find him out he would have answers to meths stoves questions. There is a US forum that is also full of stovies. BTW I'm not mentioning any forum names in case I upset the Bushcraft website ppl. Its especially important as I'm finding it more interesting than other forums I've been on for long time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE