DD Tarp, ripped on it's second time out.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm happy to put this down to a blip...I've used my DD 3x3m and Tarp XL in all weathers and not had an issue. When all is said and done, there are thousands of DD tarps out there and only 3 faulty...thats not a bad record IMHO.

I always judge a company by whatthey do when things don't quite to plan...on that score DD get top marks from me.

Simon

E

ex member coconino

I just had email from DD saying there's a replacement in the post and due tomorrow.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
yip,,, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppp same place as everybody else!!!!

my green one is sound as can be

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
hmm, just bought one of these... hopefully mine will be made of stronger stuff, better try it out in the wind before it's too late...

Did everyone who has had a problem buy these from the recent group buy? Maybe there is a bad batch, it seems odd to have the same problem so close together.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
mine was from group buy and yes first time out, you just have to tension the guy line up on the middle ones and off it goes from the top of the stitched on loop, rrrriiiiipppppaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I'd say this isn't a one off. I commented in another thread recently (can't remember if it was here or Hammock Forums) that I'm now on my third 3 x 3 DD tarp. Both of the previous ones ripped when using the intermediate tie-outs. My conclusion in the previous thread was that, since I liked the size and price of the DD tarps, I had ordered the third one, but now only ever used it in an A-frame configuration with the heavily reinforced corner tie-outs.

Additional info: Both the previous ones were plain green, not camo. Both ripped on the first or second use. Moderate wind only. Purchased them from completely different sources - one in UK (I think, from memory), one in Australia. Guy ropes didn't incorporate any bungee cord, but were only thin nylon hootchie cord - about 2mm thick & with a bit of stretch in it.

As I said previously, the DD's are good value for money and a nice size, but you only get what you pay for, so use them carefully.

Last edited:

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I've just had a look for that previous post that I referred to. It was on this forum: Thread started by Goodison555 on 4-4-11. "Tarp Recommedations Please." My post was No. 23.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
My replacement turned up last week, but will be a while before I have chance to use it again. I've not even had chance to inspect it out th bag at the moment.

Seems that the problem is more widespread than it first seemed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My replacement turned up last week, but will be a while before I have chance to use it again. I've not even had chance to inspect it out th bag at the moment.

Seems that the problem is more widespread than it first seemed.

It'll be interesting to find out if it's the fabric which is at fault or whether it's just a dodgy batch.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
It'll be interesting to find out if it's the fabric which is at fault or whether it's just a dodgy batch.

I suspect its just a small batch, you only need a bug in the weaving machine and the strength of the weave can be compromised. I have seen it happen in the manufacturing of Suit material.....

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Partickpebbles,

You could be correct, and let's hope that you are. But I suspect not. As I mentioned above, the 2 that ripped on me were sourced from 2 different countries, several months apart. Either way, I don't intend to use anything but the reinforced corner tie-outs from now on. Once bitten, twice shy. Or in my case, twice bitten, bludy paranoid.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Partickpebbles,

You could be correct, and let's hope that you are. But I suspect not. As I mentioned above, the 2 that ripped on me were sourced from 2 different countries, several months apart. Either way, I don't intend to use anything but the reinforced corner tie-outs from now on. Once bitten, twice shy. Or in my case, twice bitten, bludy paranoid.

I think it might be an issue with the camo fabric, maybe it's different to the usual plain nylon Nick gets ? I can't say I've ever heard of one of the plain ones ripping before, what sort of winds trashed yours ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE