DD Tarp, ripped on it's second time out.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

Had my second "hang" this weekend, 2 night out. A bit windy but nothing enought to have you worrying, well normally.

I had the tarp up, tied down at the corners, and a loose guy lin in the middle of each side, to avoid any major flapping around. Something that shouldn't have been an issue. But, the first flex of the tarp and it rips. Where the attachment point was stiched to the tarp, the holes made by the stitching opened up and split the tarp.

I'm quite mifffed, as I expected it to stand up to more use than this. The corners of the tarp a re-enforced brilliantly, but the side attachment points don't seem to be at all.

I've emailed DD, to see what they make of it, it could be I got a duff one. But, I think I could be on the look out for a tougher tarp, possible ripstop.

I can't seem to log into flick at the moment, so will post pics later.

Rob

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi all,

Had my second "hang" this weekend, 2 night out. A bit windy but nothing enought to have you worrying, well normally.

I had the tarp up, tied down at the corners, and a loose guy lin in the middle of each side, to avoid any major flapping around. Something that shouldn't have been an issue. But, the first flex of the tarp and it rips. Where the attachment point was stiched to the tarp, the holes made by the stitching opened up and split the tarp.

I'm quite mifffed, as I expected it to stand up to more use than this. The corners of the tarp a re-enforced brilliantly, but the side attachment points don't seem to be at all.

I've emailed DD, to see what they make of it, it could be I got a duff one. But, I think I could be on the look out for a tougher tarp, possible ripstop.

I can't seem to log into flick at the moment, so will post pics later.

Rob

Not any experience with dd per say but it sounds unusual from any of the big hammock/tarp brands to have that sort of damage of a light wind.... it has been hecticly windy of the last few days and i could potentially understand damage if you had been caught out right in the thick of it at a weird angle etc.....

let us know what dd makes of it and if they send you another one. Be nice to get some feedback on their customer services as i think their products all in all are great value for money and well designed!

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I'll keep you posted guys.

I think your right in that it was probably a duff one. The wind it was put through was nothing unusual. and it was pitched so that it was not catching it full on. Tent's around me had no bother, so I'd expect the tarp to hold out in the same way.

If they offer a replacment I'll be happy. In all, I have been very pleased with the Hammock and rest of the kit. I will be replacing the tape with climbing tape though, there seems to be a lot of stretch in the stuff the Hammock came with.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Pretty amazed at that! Resnikov had his up yesterday in a gale as a wind break and it seemed to do fine! Might just be a bad example! I am sure DD will sort you out!

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
someone ran into mine at full tilt (i was running after them) and they simply bounced out, you must have got a bad one.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used my old 3x3 in some serious weather when I had it, easily 40=50mph sometimes and it never showed any sign of failing. I would be very surprised if Nick doesn't replace it for you.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Umm? hehehe

EDIT: had a look on your flicker account, my word that's got to be a duffer, be interesting to see if any one else has a similar failure?

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My tarp was the same, the corner points are great but the ones midway just popped off straigh away. Will have to send it back when i get a minute.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
E

ex member coconino

I got a similar rip in mine over the weekend. It failed parallel to the edge and the mid-point of the rip is at the point where the sewn tape ends. I'd estimate the wind was beaufort 4 or 5, gusting to 6. I've just emailed DD about it, before seeing this thread, so I'll follow this with interest and report back anything useful.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
O wow.... what an unusual tear.... looks like a weakness in the fabric though i am by no means a tarp nor fabric expert...

From what I can make out, the stiching basically created a perforated line in the fabric, then when the wind blew, ripped open. I emailed DD this morning, including pics, now waiting for a response.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I got a similar rip in mine over the weekend. It failed parallel to the edge and the mid-point of the rip is at the point where the sewn tape ends. I'd estimate the wind was beaufort 4 or 5, gusting to 6. I've just emailed DD about it, before seeing this thread, so I'll follow this with interest and report back anything useful.

Sounds identical to the rip in mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE