DD Superlite Hammock quick review with picks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
This year I've taken some time to rethink my Bushcraft activities and from this I drew some conclusions :

1. I'm not really a Bushcrafter as such. Sure I can light a fire with Flint and steel, I can tie many knots, I can forage a little, build shelters, find tinder, carve
things etc and I do enjoy practising i.e making cordage.
2. What I really enjoy is going out for the day walking, finding somewhere to set up a hammock. Make a brew using my Honey stove, maybe cooking some
something, observing nature and then coming home.
3. Having the occasional overnighter with my son but only through the late Spring, summer, maybe early autumn. I don't want to stay out when it's cold or
wet.
4. Basically I am a bit of a softie.

From these conclusions I wanted:

1. An overnight kit.
2. A bimble kit.

From this I identified some gaps in my present kit. As the bimble kit would be the most used my kit would have to fit in my recently acquired Yugoslavia bag. My overnight kit is pretty sorted but I wanted a small light hammock. A quick search led me to the DD Superlight range. As I have a Frontline and a 3x3 tarp and a travel hammock I knew that DD was a company I could trust to deliver. So on Thursday night after the footy I ordered one. When I got home tonight it was waiting for me. I was impressed. Here's what I found
enasu8at.jpg

The chick peas are there for scale. Even though I have seen the video my first thought was God it's small. An info guide was attached explaining how to set it up. Very clear and concise. There were some other leaflets included about the DD range.
aguhu6yh.jpg

I am lucky as we have plenty of trees to hang from where I live so out I went. After reading how to use the Soft Shackles, as I have never used them before, I hung the hammock. Two minutes later it was blowing in the wind.
nygypaza.jpg
Now to get in it. I have to admit I was nervous that it would take my weight so I hung it low to the ground. No pics of this but I gingerly got in. Ten minutes later I got out it took my weight easily. I inspected the stitching which I have to say was good quality. I thought it would be hard to undo the shackles but they were a doddle. A minute later and it was back in its stuff sack.
u2yjequj.jpg

In conclusion I am well chuffed it was all I could hope for. Small and ridiculously light perfect for what I wanted. The quality is excellent and I have no reason to believe it won't last.

Some might say at £52 it's a bit steep, but it comes with everything you need and is very comfy. It does the job I wanted it too.

So if you are looking for a small, light hammock for an afternoon snooze in the woods this does the job.

No affiliation etc just a happy customer.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Had a job cancelled tonight so here's my bimble bag at the moment.

a4ezuruv.jpg

Yugo Bag
TW Tarp soon to be sold when my Superlite DD Tarp arrives. I'll only take this if showers are likely.
Honey stove with lighting kit and tinder.
Cookpot with titanium mug, tea, dried milk.
Opinal saw. (Optional).
Opinal folder N7.
Trusty Jacklore. I carry this on my belt but it's always worth a picture.
Food container.This is optional but gives an idea of what fits in the bag.
2 water bottles. I take one in cool weather two in warm weather.
Tissues
Spork
Small first aid kit

This all packs away in the bag nicely. The tarp will go in the bag when it arrives.

u9upuham.jpg

I also carry a Shemagh and a pair of binoculars both are carried around my neck.

Thanks for looking.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
You beat me to it I was going to put one of these up on here.
I haven't managed to get out to the woods to put up the hammock yet but I have had the tarp set up in my garden.
Nick from DD thinks that the hammock could be the lightest one out there on the market weighing in at 270g which is around 600 grams lighter than my FL and less than the weight of my my camping hammock (which is my most used hammock)
And the tarp weighs 460g which is 330g lighter than my 3x3 tarp.
Here is some of my pics

This what they look like packed next to my FL an 3x3 tarp

The tarp set up (yes it is yellow thanks for noticing)

With the mossie net set up under

And as you can see they also come in green and yellow :)

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Had a job cancelled tonight so here's my bimble bag at the moment.

a4ezuruv.jpg

Yugo Bag
TW Tarp soon to be sold when my Superlite DD Tarp arrives. I'll only take this if showers are likely.
Honey stove with lighting kit and tinder.
Cookpot with titanium mug, tea, dried milk.
Opinal saw. (Optional).
Opinal folder N7.
Trusty Jacklore. I carry this on my belt but it's always worth a picture.
Food container.This is optional but gives an idea of what fits in the bag.
2 water bottles. I take one in cool weather two in warm weather.
Tissues
Spork
Small first aid kit

This all packs away in the bag nicely. The tarp will go in the bag when it arrives.

u9upuham.jpg

I also carry a Shemagh and a pair of binoculars both are carried around my neck.

Thanks for looking.

Sorry but I can't see the photos, can everyone else see the pics

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
In a word great!
I was really worried getting into the hammock the first time because it is so thin. You feel like you will tear it.
But on the second night of using it, I was err... Let's say a little worse for ware and sort of fell into the hammock. And it copped quite well with that very well. It is comfortable and the nett dose stay away from your face even though it looks like it would sit n your face when in the hammock.
I'll add some pics as soon as I put them on photophotobucket :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Damn the pair of ya! :)

I was thinking that with three hammocks, I was pretty well sorted.......now you've gone and posted one too many size comparison pics

Least I can tell meself it will be a next summer purchase, I might have forgotten it by then lol

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Sorry for delay ..had one of those weekends.

These photos were taken on the last day when i was de-camping...hence the mess

You will notice how the net sits on the hammock. When you sleep in the Hammock,you sort of sink into the hammock and the net sits on the hammock away from your face

And one more just for the fun of it

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a short and narrow hammock though. Looks like a banana in more ways than one. A good night's sleep is worth a bit more weight as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad you mentioned that as it doesn't show that in the reviews I've watched. That is a no-buy for me then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE