Dark Age Meet - Post Mortem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Looks like you all had a great time, i'd definatley like to go to the next one if it happens.
The inside shots look very cosy, and the clothing looks great.

Dont be fooled by the cosyness, you could still see your breath! Made me realise what a difference a few skins and tapestries on the walls makes and how a fire needs a few days to warm the timbers of a house. I suspect the long house would take a good while to warm up properly.

Did the vikings ever use floor covering? eg carpet, oil skins, furs ect?

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Those are some fantastic pictures. I'm so gutted that I couldn't make it down. As a re-enactor those are the sort of photo opportunities you'd give your right arm for. Can I put my name forward if something like this comes up again in the future?????? Pretty please..:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hardly a post mortem because I think there is still a lot of life in this idea, but here are a few pictures.

Danelaw_1.jpg

A dusting of snow from the night before we arrived.

Danelaw_2.jpg

This is our house on the village.

Danelaw_3.jpg

A shot inside when it's set up.

Danelaw_4.jpg

Michelle (Cobweb) and Nick.

Danelaw_5.jpg

Another shot in our house as the light starts to fade.

Danelaw_6.jpg

We moved into the longhouse in the evening for a bit more space.

Danelaw_9.jpg

Danelaw_7.jpg

Danelaw_10.jpg

Some people like to roast their nuts by the fire.

Danelaw_8.jpg

Danelaw_11.jpg

Some things never change through the centuries.

Danelaw_12.jpg

From left to right: Hazel, Lindsey (Firecrest), Fiona (Xylaria), John (Singeblister), Andy (Andywinkk),
Debbie, Skadi the dog, Michelle (Cobweb), Mary (Toddy), Russ (Warthog1981), Adam in front, Del,
Me and Nick (Nickg)

Danelaw_13.jpg

The last few on the final evening.

Thanks to everyone that made it such a great weekend.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It were fantastic, I loved every minute (including freezing my **** off on friday night) and well done to the guys for remembering their cameras. I'm still kicking myself for leaving mine behind... it's sitting in the corner of the living room as I type this, smirking at me.

The photographs really do it justice!

I would like to thank everyone that came...
Wayland for organising it and for the loan on the inflatable kipmats, gifting me a shingle every night, inventing 'Brown', introducing me to an amazing cumberland sausage and the wonderful story in the longhouse.
Nick for the lovely gifts, the great trade of a basket for tablet weaving kit and for the innuendos that kept us all laughing.
Toddy for being Toddy, hugs, tablet mmm, showing us how to tablet weave and the bacon rolls.
Russ for keeping me company after I was a bit of a tit with hot fat and for giving me dry firewood on the friday night.
Xylaria for teaching me a new naalbinding stitch and the gift of a bone needle.
Del for the chats when we needed to check the smoke was going up.
The kiddlings for being really good (how is Adam by the way?)
Singe for the interesting chat on Knife design and for splitting some wet wood for me.
Debbie for being there and talking to me, even though I make almost no sense most of the time and for sharing a cup of tea.
Also thank you to Firecrest and Andy for being there as well :D

I especially would like to thank Dave for letting us come.

Sorry If I have missed anyone out!

It was a great time and I'll definitely try to come along to the next one, it would be fun to make stuff and repair the houses while we were there if this is going to be a regular thing :D
:beerchug:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

You really are a wizard. You have wizarded away them hidious trainers, and replaced them with a pair currans.

The dentist wizarded the broken tooth, into a smile thats looks like he never hit himself in the face with cast iron hook. I am just so glad he still has a face.

Cobweb did you lose the peice of nalbinding you did and the bead that wayland gave you because I have two?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
wonderful photos as always Wayland.
I never noticed the transformed shoes! Thats fantastic.
As for all us women gabbing in the lane, it did occur to me at the time that this kind of thing had been going on since civilisation began, you see I was just off to collect my things from the long house when I bumped into the other women folk gabbing in the street, where I joined in for the next hour and forgot what I originally came out for!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I enjoyed this meet the best to. a lot of fun and with great people. Thanks to andy and john for looking after me all weekend and saving me from having to eat stagg chilli and porridge ;)
thanks to everyone really.

bramble

Mar 4, 2008
Shropshire
Hello there,I am still out here but dont get chance to converse much on the computer what with kids hogging it and me working on it. Anyway, get back to the main reason Im on here.That is to say how envious I am about the great weekend you all had, including my daughter, cobweb. She arrived at my house at 11.15pm last night and proceeded to tell me all about the` enactment weekend`. I was very envious, and the pictures just enhaunced what she told me. I am so glad you all had such a brilliant time and if you do organise another one , me and the twiglets would like to be considered in the line up, please.

A few more pics to add to the pot
DSCF0983.jpg

DSCF0985.jpg

DSCF0986.jpg

DSCF0990.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF1045.jpg

I made this today as well all by hand even the taper on the pin , I made the pin extra long after listening to gary saying you have the pin pointing upwards over your shoulder so when you throw your cape back it holds it up :)
DSCF1080.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
You really are a wizard. You have wizarded away them hidious trainers, and replaced them with a pair currans.

The dentist wizarded the broken tooth, into a smile thats looks like he never hit himself in the face with cast iron hook. I am just so glad he still has a face.

Cobweb did you lose the peice of nalbinding you did and the bead that wayland gave you because I have two?

I didn't find it while unpacking so I think so :(

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Dont be fooled by the cosyness, you could still see your breath! Made me realise what a difference a few skins and tapestries on the walls makes and how a fire needs a few days to warm the timbers of a house. I suspect the long house would take a good while to warm up properly.

Did the vikings ever use floor covering? eg carpet, oil skins, furs ect?

Sorry, only just spotted the question.

As far as I know there is no evidence for floor coverings of fabric or fur.

Rush is mentioned in later medieval contexts and there is some debate over whether this would be only loose or possibly woven rush matting.

I must admit we sometimes use rush matting on the floor of our tent.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I'm sure I remember reading that there was evidence from the Western Settlement on Greenland that there had been a layer of twigs or bracken spread on the floor as an insulation layer. I think it was from work by Thomas McGovern?

Dec 23, 2008
County Durham
Sorry, only just spotted the question.

As far as I know there is no evidence for floor coverings of fabric or fur.

Rush is mentioned in later medieval contexts and there is some debate over whether this would be only loose or possibly woven rush matting.

I must admit we sometimes use rush matting on the floor of our tent.

I tend to use straw as it absorbs a lot of dampness and lifts your feet off the hard ground. Makes me a little more wary re the risk of fire though!
Another thing, my furs cost a lot of money so there's no way they'd be left on the ground for someone to cover them in mud.

Osric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE