Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
Ok,

Does anyone really have any qualms (other than getting caught and the potential consequences) about catching and eating non native crayfish. They are after all easy to catch, easy to identify from the natives (should you catch one), plentiful, a pest, and good eating. I have known several water bailiffs in my time whos attitude was that everyone with a rod licence should also have a crayfish license and trap, catch what they can whilst fishing and the either kill or eat the crayfish, reckoning that that would make a dent in the numbers. I should point out that this was their 'in the pub having had a few sherberts' attitude, not there professional carefully considered opinion

I know its illegal to do without jumping through the right hoops, but how heavily would you really be punished if you got caught? A light ticking off or throw the book at you? After all, I might well have the attitude of 'By catching and eating these non native crayfish I'm helping you out and doing you a favour', but I doubt that they would share that exact same opinion.

What do you all think?

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
Considering there isn't a fee any more, why not just get a licence:confused:

Because I've been in situations where I've had scraps that would make ideal bait and enough stuff to bodge a 'trap', but no permission from a land owner, and no official ticket, so to do so would have been illegal.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nothing to stop you from simply picking them up from the shallows in your hands as I've done on many occasions.

16072011579.jpg

16072011582.jpg

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
because the up to date thniking is that trapping isn't the answer.

Trapping tends to take the bigger more arressive males -a high % of their diet is other non native crayfish. Research has shown that trappnig can actually lead to an increase in invasive crayfish numbers. It also increase to movement of crayfish from other rivers stretches into the area, spreading the fungal disease that kills the natives.

You could always just catch them by hand.

Compo Semite

Feb 7, 2012
Wales
To be honest mate I really could'nt see any self respecting water bailiff having a problem with you clearing out some American crayfish. Try hand lining for them, all you need to do is tie a bit of old macral onto a piece of string and you'll end up with buckets full of the damned things! I remember years ago me and this old boy sat by the river Wey in Guilford town centre pulling dozens of them out of the water on after the other.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE