Could this become a suitable first knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'll definitely be doing it all myself. It's always best to learn something new from the ground up, don't you think? I might even have a go at making a sheath! :D

That's always been my approach and it works for me, get er done! If it was your grandad's I'm sure he'd prefer you to have a go yourself. Just take your time with it and watch a few vids or read the British Red tutorial in the stickies and you can't go wrong. It's just sharpening a knife at the end of the day! Some real easy sheath making tutorials out there as well, go for it mate!

krung

May 4, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think you should try to clean it yourself. It is great to do stuff like that and you may even make a hobby of it. It is metal, and will probably not fall apart when you look at it. Just don't be too aggressive and you should be fine. Watch out for the vinegar acid and the aluminium guard and pommel (if that is what they are made of).

I would like to see if you can get any information off of the ricasso, after steel wool or vinegar.

I don't know any Buck knives really, but there is something Buck about the pommel. If I had to make another guess I would say German or Norvegian/Danish scout knife. Something about the blade shape is very familiar. On the other hand it is a common pattern.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Most Bucks use stainless blades, even the older ones. I doubt that's a Buck. Also, there is usually a pronounced guard of stacked dural and fiber washers.

gypsy slings

Forager
Sep 2, 2011
yorkshir
to me it looks like an old sheffiled made knive like w.rodgers or something its a nice old knive and well made al have an old knive like that anyday rather than all the bushy knive thats about today no ofence to any maker that just wot i like

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Well, I've gone halfway with it.

I brought my knife to my friend who is a master carpenter; he's going to let me use his kit, and teach me how to sharpen it.

I'll do pictures when it's done.:D

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I've cleaned and learned to sharpen it.

The pitting is quite deep, unfortunately, so I have decided to stop here. But it works well. It can effortlessly cut paper now.

Now time to learn to make things with it! :D

PICT0060.JPG

PICT0061.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE