Could this become a suitable first knife?

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
There's a great big knife-shaped hole in my knowledge of outdoors skills. But this year I intend to fix that.

I've got this, found in an old toolbox. It's quite pitted. I polished it up with a bit of steel wool and some oil, which got rid of most of the rust.

But I have two questions before I go any further:

1. Is this going to be an a suitable first knife when it's sorted?
2. Is it even worth sorting? This is all in my own time, I can put in as much elbow grease as needed. But if it won't be useful, I'd rather send it for recycling than waste time and materials polishing and sharpening it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PICT0053.JPG

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Can't see anything there that isn't salvagable - make a nice project, but you can pick up a good first knife for under a fiver (mora or hultafors). If you don't want to put the time in you could always swap it.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I don't mind putting the effort in if I won't have something that will immediately break or cut my fingers off the first time I use it. If those are a possibility, I'll buy one and return it to the box - I'm not that tight!

TBH, I do like the idea of using an old knife. I also have a feeling this might have belonged to my grandad, in which case I'll definitely keep it; I was very fond of my grandad. I'll have to ask my dad where it came from.

Now, can anyone recommend a good book to read on restoring knives? I could watch a Youtube video, but TBH I would prefer something I could read in my own good time. :D

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I don't think you need a book - there's plenty of good info on the web, but it depends how far you want to go. Get the rust off the blade (white vinegar will do a good job if you can avoid the handle - then wire wool), clean up and oil the handle (soak in boiled linseed) - if there any serious dings in the handle you could fill 'em up - alternatively you could rehandle it. Then I'd send it off to someone like longstrider (on this forum) to sharpen it for you. Plenty of people on here could make you a sheath for it too...

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
You can't see it in the picture, but I particularly like the way the handle has shrunk unevenly. It's also a *tiny* bit bent at the end. It's already coming up nicely with a bit of sandpaper.

Oh, before I start, it isn't worth a lot of money or anything is it? Not for sale, but I won't use it if it's valuable. I can't see how it could be, but still.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Iv got an old knife very similar to that but with bone scales. I defo say that is a grear first knife and because it means something to you and you will restore it yourself youl enjoy using it even more

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice knife, clean it up and learn to sharpen it yourself so you're not relying on others in future. It'll mean more to you if you sort it yourself as well, have fun and post some after pics please!

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I'll definitely be doing it all myself. It's always best to learn something new from the ground up, don't you think? I might even have a go at making a sheath! :D

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Mountainm, perhaps I should start with something a bit more replaceable. It didn't occur to me I could wreck it by cleaning and polishing.

Cleaning and polishing should be OK - but if you're aggressive when you sharpen it you could cause issues - especially if you try and put a point back on the tip etc. I'd practice on a cheap mora first (abuse it to get it nice and blunt) before you sharpen this one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE