Coppicing silver birch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Would I be right in thinking that if I were to take a tree off at a height of about 6 to 8 inches, it'll regrow from the stump?

And would this be a good time of year to fell a couple (I'm in NE Scotland, and have the permission of the landowner, as long as the trees will regrow) There are a couple of blowdowns I could trim off, and let the rootball fall back into its hole too.

I'm looking to coppice them pretty regularly after that for sticks, and the constituent parts of besoms

Ta

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know that they could be coppiced :dunno:

I'm quite fond of them, they're pretty, graceful trees, but they grow like weeds around here. If I don't pull the seedlings out of the pots and pavings, I'd not be able to get out of the house in a year or two :sigh:

Definitely a pioneer species, those wee fine windblown seeds get everywhere. You could maybe just plant them like a crop if they don't coppice ?

cheers,
Toddy

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
I don't think they do coppice. I've never seen birch regrow when taken right down, and I've chopped loads of them. They might regenerate if you chop them at a height to leave some limbs on them.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It depends on the diameter. Trees have dormant buds under the bark which can grow if the top is lost. Different species retain them for different lengths of time. As a rule of thumb I would say a birch up to around 2" diameter is likely to regrow and one 6" or more is not likely to and in between it may and it may not.

Once a stump has regrown you can cut it regularly every year or every other year for besom material.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
You can coppice most broad leaf trees - European ones at least. Nothing is 100% with a sample size of 2 you may be just unlucky. Cutting of coppice is usually done in an area so light can reach the ground. Trees coppiced in this way do well as they have a developed root system & access to light.

Chestnut , oak, ash, hazel, hornbeam, willow, birch, hawthorn, blackthorn, holly and alder all all regularly coppiced in the woods where I volunteer.

Please note the areas of coppice below are larger than normal - twice the average size of others on the reserve.

December 07 note the centre left large tree & Land rover

Coppice07.jpg

Deceber 08 cutting the next area back. The regrowth from 1 year - including the birch is almost hiding the land rovers parked in the same place as in 07

Coppice08.jpg

Lots of birch cut again

Mike

ps Remember leave no trace :lmao:

Last edited:

Hairy Steve

Feb 17, 2010
Cornwall
Birch up to c. 6" at breast height coppice very well, and now (before the sap flow starts in earnest) would be a good time to do it.

Larger stems may be very slow to re-grow, but are likely to produce something eventually.

You don't need to leave a 6-8" stump for birch to re-grow: 4" will be fine

One caution though: mature wind-thrown trees can be very dangerous to deal with - the stresses in the timber can be all over the place, the stumps have often moved, and the rootplates can weigh well over a ton.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
yes you can coopice ( betula pendula ). i`ve cut hundreds down and seen them regenerate back. As for the wind blown trees i would stay well clear as it`s one of the most dangerous jobs you can do.... take it from me i`ve had a few close shave doing wind-blown.

keep us posted if the coppicing works

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE