Convertible packs/sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I was reminded of this topic because of another thread about ponchos with liners.

In an old book on camping, I think by Warren Miller, the author describes his attempts at and his evolution of a pack sack that he made which converted to a sleeping bag. I wonder if anyone else has ever attempted such a project.

The book was from around 1920, first of all, so everything is relative to that time period. His idea was to take a large Duluth-style pack sack, which he made from scratch himself, and line it with wool blanket material. The bag or sack would lace up the sides to form the pack when used like that and unfold and unlace out straight to form the sleeping bag. My description is singularly uninformative, so you'll have to let your imagination run wild for a minute until you see what he was talking about. He actually tried out his idea and apparently stuck with it, at least until after his book was published. He did admit to shortcomings of the concept, though, and continually modified it. Anyhow, he claimed it was at least okay as a sleeping bag and the same when used as a pack.

I've never even thought of doing something like that, although I've messed around with trying to make packs or frames for decades, consistently unsuccessfully.

Anyone else ever attempt such a thing?

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
This sounds like an interesting concept - I'd like to explore it more - but surely a major downside is that everything needs to be removed from the back before one could sleep in it? This doesn't seem very practical to me. I suppose an in liner bag could be used to hold everything and which could be easily lifted out at sleep time, but I can't see how the convertible pack would provide greater flexibility over a separate sleeping bag/Bibi or a bedroll. Interesting stuff though.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think it would be a fairly simple matter to make a bedroll which could form a pack between camps. It's something I've been pondering lately but haven't got around to taking any further than that just yet.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
It was quickly pointed out by the writer that, in theory, you needed a place to keep things in camp and that was a shortcoming of the concept. A bigger shortcoming is that it was a frameless pack, although you can still buy huge frameless packs. They're sold as canoe packs for when you want a big, frameless pack that isn't going to be carried on your back all that far. But I like frames when the weight begins to add up.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I remember my dad always banging on about how great it is to have a huge pack, and telling me stories of using one as an extra layer when out in high places, perhaps akin to a pack converting into an elephants foot rather than a full sleeping bag.

Perhaps a naval sea sack could be used?

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I haven't tried but I reckon I could get into my Sabre 130l. :)

I have used a double layer ripstop pack as extra foot insulation. Carried dustbin liners mean there is always somewhere else to stash kit and keep it dry.

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
Back in the early 90s I lent my rucksack to a friend, whose wife thoroughly scrubbed the inside before returning it, thus rendering it non-waterproof. I was completely skint at the time, so I took a leaf out of the locals' book (this being in Sumatra, Indonesia) and made my own rucksack out of a large (woven plastic) rice sack, using a stitched-up sarong as straps (tie the top shut with the sarong, plus tie the sarong to the bottom corners). It wasn't the most comfortable backpack I've ever used, but it did double up nicely as a sleeping bag on the higher altitude treks. With hindsight, I must have looked quite strange at Hong Kong Airport on the way home - shoeless, with ripped clothes and all my worldly possessions slung over my back in an 80kg rice sack. Happy days.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Has anyone used one of these. Its called the Backpack Bed:

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgu...iact=rc&uact=3&dur=409&page=1&start=0&ndsp=15

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgu...iact=rc&uact=3&dur=239&page=1&start=0&ndsp=15

Sorry, I'm new here so I can't insert a photo yet.

Awesome idea but unfortunately you won't be able to buy one. They are produced solely for the homeless and are not for resale, so I guess not many people will have used one :(

It says on that link you provided that you can buy one for a homeless person for 68 bucks or buy one for yourself for 199 bucks :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I think I'd prefer a pack which was just a frame with a strong mesh attached into which I could stack various drybags which I take anyway,

I like that idea :) be great for portages too and seriously adaptable for lots of other uses......why has nobody thought of this and brought it into production! Lol surprised Ortlieb haven't thought off this :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Something like that but I'm knitting a small gauge net for mine having experimented unsuccessfully with a bungee net. Globetrotter very kindly contributed an old Karrimor external pack frame to the project and if that doesn't work I've also traded for a molle frame but boy is that heavy. The karrimor frame is better though as it has the L shape for load support.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That sound interesting mountain I hope you'll get some pictures together at some point.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The last time I heard of or used such a thing was with the rucksack-and-pied-d'elephant type of set up for nightmarish bivvies in the Alps.

Although an intriguing idea, I'm not convinced of the out-and-out practicalities of it for all sorts of reasons, most of which have been mentioned, but worst of which would be having to unpack everything from your blanket/pack thing in order to get some sleep. In the Alpine set-up, it was a pain and I'm not sure that this will be much better, other than you not losing any stuff that you might drop.

That said, I am intrigued and, although sceptical, will be interested to see how this all pans out. It'll be typical of me to find myself a fervent advocate of these things a few years down the line!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I think I'd prefer a pack which was just a frame with a strong mesh attached into which I could stack various drybags which I take anyway,

Mmm, you'd need a few pockets for junk food etc, which is the basic form of an external frame pack, and the theory that individual lashings lighten the weight. One problem with modern internal frames is that all the weight is exerted at the base of the rucksack, and the sleeping bag compartment separator is woefully inadequate. The seperatior should be the base of the bag and the sleeping bag compartment an entirely different piece. But then internal frame rucksacks are really really technical in my opinion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE