Common seed heads as tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have been experimenting with new tinders recently and have discovered how good Common Reed (Phragmites australis) is. It is not a tinder I have heard recommended before.

There should be a picture of reed seed heads here......HOPEFULLY! :confused:

To take a spark Collect 6 - 10 seed heads rub them briefly between your hands and then spark into them. Unlike Reed Mace (AKA Bull Rush) which flash burns, reed seed heads burn relitively slowly. ;)

To take an ember from a bow/hand drill collect double the amount and make a nest. It is the quickest tinder I have found for getting from ember to fire :D

Attachments

• Reed seed heads.jpg
    Reed seed heads.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 91

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's interesting, thank you for the information.

I've tried the little seed cones from bog myrtle (Myrica gale) and get what sounds like the same effect. They contain a resinous waxy substance, but you need an awful lot of them to extract the wax scum, however, they burn well. Crushed flax seed heads do this too.
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy said:
Now that's interesting, thank you for the information.

I've tried the little seed cones from bog myrtle (Myrica gale) and get what sounds like the same effect. They contain a resinous waxy substance, but you need an awful lot of them to extract the wax scum, however, they burn well. Crushed flax seed heads do this too.
Cheers,
Toddy

Have you tried making myrtle beer yet?? ;)

It is also supposed to be good as an insect repellent, but I have never found i very successful :(

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I collected some clematis seeds yesterday, maybe not the commonest woodland plant but a seed nontheless. I've yet to try them but they are in abundance in gardens at present

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use it as an anti-midge. Much more pleasant than the acrid citronella. Try burning it, or boiling the little cones to form the scum and mix that with candle wax to make a candle. If you soak the cones in almond oil and leave it in the sunshine it'll infuse the oil with the myrtle and that makes a good anti-insect rub too.
Haven't tried the beer yet, still too busy using it for dyes :D The scent clings to the wool and seems to deter the midges again, :cool: I get excellent dark greens using a little iron in the dyebath with the bog myrtle leaves.

Cheers,
Toddy

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Look out for the 'fluff' around on Sallow (Pussy Willow) at the moment too - lights a treat using a firesteel!

Bob :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE