Cat-Tail Seed Head Tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I gathered a big handful of the fluffy white seed heads from cat-tail the other day and have been trying fire lighting with it, with mixed degrees of success.

I've found that it takes a spark from a Swedish firesteel very well, but I just seem to get a flash flame, and then it goes out. The flame just seems to rush over the outside of the ball of cat-tail tinder and then goes out almost immediately, after which the tinder is much more difficult to light from a spark. If I have a few bits of papery birch bark mixed in with the cat-tail then one of these will often catch as the flame front passes it, but the cat-tail doesn't seem to be able to sustain a flame itself.

Just wondering what other people have found...

Geoff

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I gathered a big handful of the fluffy white seed heads from cat-tail the other day and have been trying fire lighting with it, with mixed degrees of success.

I've found that it takes a spark from a Swedish firesteel very well, but I just seem to get a flash flame, and then it goes out. The flame just seems to rush over the outside of the ball of cat-tail tinder and then goes out almost immediately, after which the tinder is much more difficult to light from a spark. If I have a few bits of papery birch bark mixed in with the cat-tail then one of these will often catch as the flame front passes it, but the cat-tail doesn't seem to be able to sustain a flame itself.

Just wondering what other people have found...

Geoff

Same problem when Ive tried. Apparently it works best if soaked, then dried under compression (i.e. somehow managing to keep it kept squeezed tight until totaly dry).
I cant remember where I heard this (I think it was RM) and I havent tried it yet, so let me know how you get on.

Stu.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes exactly the same results; you get a "flash" and then, more or less nothing. Thistle down is similar, although, at least in my experience, a little better than Cat Tail.
When I have used it in training sessions, I explain that it will work better with a mixture of tinders. Mixing in a bit of papery birch bark and powdery conifer resin, seems to work well.
Cheers
R.B.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I had the same results, so i stick with lint from the tumble dryer. it ain't "bushy", but it works for me, and stops it going to landfill.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Cat tail down makes the perfect 'middle' to a tinder bundle made from more fibrous materials (honeysuckle bark or dry grass). Seems to increase the life of an ember and increase the heat given off - in my experience anyway...

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Same problem when Ive tried. Apparently it works best if soaked, then dried under compression (i.e. somehow managing to keep it kept squeezed tight until totaly dry).
I cant remember where I heard this (I think it was RM) and I havent tried it yet, so let me know how you get on.

Stu.

RM did say it - I just checked in one of his books and he does say that cat-tail (along with poplar) seed heads work best wetted, then dried under compression, and even better if slightly charred...so it's perhaps more of a store cupboard tinder than an opportunistic one...

...but I've run out of cat-tail seed heads now so I can't test it. However, I have been getting on better when mixing the cat-tail with slivers of birch bark.

Geoff

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I use it as a coal extender for friction fire. Like Joe says the center of my birds nest I drop my coal in it and it holds and grows the coal not really bursting in flame but holding the heat until the outer part catches up.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I use it as a coal extender for friction fire. Like Joe says the center of my birds nest I drop my coal in it and it holds and grows the coal not really bursting in flame but holding the heat until the outer part catches up.

There are a number of different sorts of tinder -

Spark to flame in one hit tinders (e.g thistledown)
Active coal extenders that spread a coal without assistance (e.g birch polypore)
Spark to coal (e.g. tinder fungus or charcloth)
Passive coal extenders that spread a coal only with wind assistance (e.g. crumbled leaf)
Coal to flame (e.g. the traditional bird's nest tinder)
Small flame to strong sustained flame (e.g. birch bark)
(does that cover most of the concepts of Tinder?)

Sounds like Cat Tail (Typha?) fits 2 of these types -

I am down to do a workshop at the summer bushmoot on tinders. All welcome. I hope to learn myself.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was watching a repeat of RM on Dave yesterday (the Bushcraft episode where he goes to Yellowstone County).

In this episode he shows you how to use clematis seed head as tinder. How he did it, is by grabbing a large handfull of the clematis and ligting it with his fire stick. As soon as it is alight he quickly puts some dry grass over the top of it which in turn catches the flame.

I dont know the point of doing this really as he could of just lit the dried grass directly with his firesteel..?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
For clarification, and because i had to look it up - Cat tails appear to be what in the UK most people would call bull rush - or greater reed mace, all typa latifola.

I find this the apsolute best thing - yes it does flash flame but does so very easily and in combination witth some dried grass or birch bark-if your lucky ,is really very successfull. However my stock is now dry as is stored at home (yeah cheeting) so would like to try with it fresh from outdoors. I also have an older head which looks a little manky but is harder and less fluffy to try with will see if thats different.
The other thing i like is that one head will light lots and lots of fires, since you dont need much to make it work

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I have a bullrush head, half of which ive pressed into a tin to make char out of it. Its my first time doing it (itll be done in a few days) so Ill let you know how it goes.
The first batch I wet and pressed between books. It isnt dry totally but it stopped it all from floating away. Most of it Ive rolled into little balls because it was more convenient and some Ive cheated with - I sprayed with Pastel fixative, which I can see no difference between that and a can of hairspray, The fixative kept it into the shape I pressed it into, it will be useful to see if the flamable chemicals in it add to to the tinder.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Just an update on that - the Char-cattail (chartail?) works like a dream! It takes a spark first time from a fire steel and it burns a slow ember that is difficult to blow out. I havent lit it with flint and steel yet, but thats because I can't light anything with this and I can't aim the spark. I need more practice!
The only problem is with it, its like candy floss and it blows away very easy, despite my attempts to press it into something more felt like. Any tips?

I've got cat-tail to work beautifully. It seems to work best if it's reasonably well-seasoned (so now is a great time to harvest), but it does need to be pulled apart. If used as a clump, any spark you have will go out - but if you split it so it is very fine it works like a dream.

Trying to use it in the middle of a bundle and blowing it like a coal has failed every time I try - possibly because it results in compressing the fibres- but if you put dry larger tinder *above* it, it'll catch. If you've got problems with it blowing away, try using your larger tinder behind it: that will stop it from blowing off, and will fan the flames towards the tinder.

Char-cat-tail sounds interesting - might put some of that in the fire tonight, see how I get on!

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
To stop tinder blowing away I hold it down with the knife blade and strike the firesteel across the blade (hope that makes sense??). Works reasonably well for me...

ATB, Jon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE