Cold weather bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Really looking forward to this now, not sure if I'll do the 5 items challenge. But Im gonna go lightweight, I think ill stick to the 'whatever goes in my 45ltr bag' rule :D

Fingers crossed for snow

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Pretty isn't it

4-7-thickbox.jpg
hey thats alright that, i quite like it :)

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
I was wondering too... I'm OK for heavyweight camping lamps (hurricane, Tilley etc) but need something lightweight. The obvious solution is a Uco candle lantern but I'm baulking a bit at the price. Bit annoying one can buy a 'high tech' thing like the Ambilight for less than half the price of a basic item like a Uco. I guess I'll just improvise a lantern, but it'll be hard to make one as neat as the Uco item, unless anyone can point me to some plans ?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I was wondering too... I'm OK for heavyweight camping lamps (hurricane, Tilley etc) but need something lightweight. The obvious solution is a Uco candle lantern but I'm baulking a bit at the price. Bit annoying one can buy a 'high tech' thing like the Ambilight for less than half the price of a basic item like a Uco. I guess I'll just improvise a lantern, but it'll be hard to make one as neat as the Uco item, unless anyone can point me to some plans ?

I've seen a cracking little lantern made from a little led key fob light and a white stuff sack.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98243

or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C37N142UlUA

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
So what's the area like? Terrain, vegetation and the like?

Check out the pics earlier in the thread and/or put the grid ref into 'where's the path'. It's moorland.

Chis said:
Bilmo has made these in the past iirc?

Just seen that. Yes, I did, after Matt first posted the link. Was going to offer them as stocking fillers but gave them all away.
I'll have to do some more.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well it's at the base of a 700m+ mountain called whernside, lots of limestone and moorland really. Its great place!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Well it's at the base of a 700m+ mountain called whernside, lots of limestone and moorland really. Its great place!

Originally Posted by Phaestos
So what's the area like? Terrain, vegetation and the like?

Check out the pics earlier in the thread and/or put the grid ref into 'where's the path'. It's moorland.
Ian

www.bilmo.co.uk

Thats it Matt, its a beautiful place thats etched on my soul but when its nasty its really nasty :)

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Sorry I know this is a bit OT.. re. lantern, cheers I saw the drilled puree tin idea, but I think a clear window is preferred for max illumination. I'll see what I can come up with.

Just finished pimping my snow smock today, pretty pleased with the result, hoping for some snow now !

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
...but I think a clear window is preferred for max illumination. I'll see what I can come up with.

I've given this some thought too. However you decide to make the openings in your tin (an Allinsons yeast tin is a nice size), if you look around and get a PET pop or water bottle with straight sides, cut the ends off then cut a strip out of the straight portion so that the natural springyness of the PET will cause it to hold itself inside the tin. Drill ad pop rivet a 22mm end cap into the bottom of the tin so that it will hold half a household candle central. Wire bail should suffice.
Does that make sense?

PureetinYeasttin.jpg

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
I was out for a walk today (up Ingleborough) and only just down the road from Ribblehead so went for a looksee. The site is predominantly peat bog, but is dotted with sink holes which are better drained and provide some shelter from the prevailing wind. Flat spots are scarce but there are a few suitable areas for what we want. Pretty ideal really for a challenging bivy site ! I can imagine in cold weather with a bit of a wind conditions would be pretty severe..

Oh yeah, no timber of any kind or bracken I that noticed, so people may want to do a bit of foraging for firewood/shelter building/bedding materials beforehand.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE