Clothing for chilly nights.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi Guys,
Its a little while since I posted -appologies to all.
Now that the evenings are getting cooler I am looking for an outer garment to wear whilst sitting around the camp fire.
Im looking for somthing that will not damage easily from the odd fire spark!
Im told wool as opposed to synthetic fabrics are best.? I have been considering an ex sweedish army pile lined 3/4 length parka!. They are made of heavy cotton as far as I am aware.Im just a bit worried that they would be a bit of an over kill, as they come under the heading of 'cold weather clothing' and cold in Sweeden means 'freezing' over here!
Also can anyone coment on the wearer comfort of exarmy norgee shirts, do they itch? as I personally find it difficult to wear wool. Any experience with these two or suggestion for other low budget options would be appreciated.
Thanks Ivan

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hi Ivan,

You'll be fine with a Norgee shirt Mate, they don't feel like wool at all because....they are made of cotton! lol :) They feel like terri-towlin on the inside and are very warm but MUST be kept dry or they can be quite cold and very heavy!

Why not try a Swandri Ranger shirt or maybe even the Bushshirt if your budget stretches to it, but you'll need to wear a t-shirt or something under them as both can be a little itchy when you first get them, some people notice this and others don't.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
norgee shirts are made of cotton (uk ones anyway) so no itching problems there.
you could always get a cheap cotton smock an put it over a fleece to combat the spark problem.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Personally, I'd stay away from cotton. If you get it wet in cold weather, it's difficult to dry it out, and hypothermia can set in quite quickly. Mind you, in the summer, cotton is amazing, as the water it absorbs cools you down. In cold though, cotton kills. Literally.

I'm a big synthetic fan, my base layer is HH Lifa Active midweight polypropylene. (Polypro only absorbs 0.001% moisture.)

My mid layer as of late has been a polyester HH Fibre-Pile hooded zip jacket, until it got slashed to shreds with a grinder wheel whilst working on my Lada Niva. (Polyester absorbs about 10% moisture)

As an outer shell, as I've already posted, I discovered Ventile back in March. Lovely stuff! High performance cotton's such as gabardine, or SAS smocks (as I'm sure you've been told) are fine for an outer shell, where they are not next to skin, so they cannot steal body warmth.

I've never got much into wool for the simple reason is that while it may be warm, fuzzy, and water repellent, eventually it will get soaked, and when it does, it gets HEAVY. I don't much like carrying wet, heavy clothing.

Helly Hansen, I believe, makes a flame-retardent Fibre-Pile jacket.

http://www.hhworkwear.com

Go to products, fibre-pile, view all products in this category.

Fibre-pile is interesting stuff. It's made of polyester (fleece) but knitted like wool, with individual fibres on the backing, and a smooth face on the outer. Each of these fibres picks up moisture, and transports it to the outside, dispersing it. Deep-Sea divers on the BC Coast where I live wear it under their dry suits in the winter. It's lighter, softer, and doesn't get as wet as wool. I believe you brits use a similar system, I think you call it the Buffalo pertex/pile system.

So, if you're worried about melting from a fire, try flame-retardent pile!

A.

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Guys,
I had a look over some of the old threads on clothing and layer systems, found a few good recomendations for ex army stuff-some of the items that came up....
These following seem to be recommended:
Ex army Temperate field jackets(Smock Combat Temperate DPM)
66 pATTERN SMOCK -FULLY LINED(Heavy but warm)
M65 Jacket (Warm with removable liner(cool cumfortable and indistructable)
95 kit shirt.
Last but not least there was a thread describing the benifits of the Sweedish Army M60 Smock-this one I liked.
I must admit Im not to keen on anything with camo on it,the plainer olive and green colours seem far more versatile. To be honest Im guessing that I would feel slightly uncomfortable in camo gear-seems to me one could easily be mistaken for military, o.k. in this country but very dodgy abroad Im thinking????!!!
Does any one know were the sweedish smocks are available from?
Thanks for the advise guys !

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You specified a garment specifically for "sitting around the campfire." A active bushcrafter is generating mechanical heat through exercise and internal heat through all those Kendall mint cakes I can't get over here :( Most literature points to being 'comfortably cold' and constantly adjusting your clothing to avoid overheating. Now at day's end your sitting before your primary heat source ( fire) generating virtually nill mechanical heat and your metabolism has slowed down. You want to be comfortably warm and avoid heat loss. This is when a heavier parka with superior insulation is correct and even that big bad cotton is appropriate in a tight weave to block windchill. Your perspiration rate will also slowdown and unless you fall into a river some fool positioned your camp on they do nicely. Remember those swedish troops manuevered in climes not that much colder than parts of G.B. If it's a dry cold you'll survive to live as long as the parka's former owner.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
hyfan said:
Guys,
I had a look over some of the old threads on clothing and layer systems, found a few good recomendations for ex army stuff-some of the items that came up....
These following seem to be recommended:
Ex army Temperate field jackets(Smock Combat Temperate DPM)
66 pATTERN SMOCK -FULLY LINED(Heavy but warm)
M65 Jacket (Warm with removable liner(cool cumfortable and indistructable)
95 kit shirt.
Last but not least there was a thread describing the benifits of the Sweedish Army M60 Smock-this one I liked.
I must admit Im not to keen on anything with camo on it,the plainer olive and green colours seem far more versatile. To be honest Im guessing that I would feel slightly uncomfortable in camo gear-seems to me one could easily be mistaken for military, o.k. in this country but very dodgy abroad Im thinking????!!!
Does any one know were the sweedish smocks are available from?
Thanks for the advise guys !

Hi mate,
check out my picture winter gallery there you see me with a swedish M60 winter smock. The smok is good but no miracle Item, I am having a lot of layers woolen than the smok is good. The sipper of the jacket is bad, plastic stuff which broke last winter after only one season otherwise it s good jacket.
Most important for me is the inner heating, I am eating permican and have a termos where I keep always a hot drink. Fat and sugar is a great heat source!

Abbes Camp

cheers
Abbe

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi guys
Settler you are right on the money, sorry if I gave the image of the lazy (inactive bushcrafter) I would like to think Im just the opposite.
I should really divide the requirement into dusk wear as the temp starts to drop off / days in the autum winter were its just plane cold and late night where the temp has gone down and you need to be near the fire for warmth.
The SWEEDISH PARKER would be for after dark when most of the days activities are done, save putting the odd log on the fire.
Thanks for the advice on the sweedish smock -Im now thinking maybe a buttoned front for temp adjustments would be a better proposition.
Cheers Ivan
ps Nice Album pictures Nomad -these really capture the bushcrafter spirit!!!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe, get yourself a "M90 Värmejacka" (also known as the coma coat) for the times when you are still or moving around slowly. The older model with a thicker hood and heavier are the best ones. The coat is perfect to put over your sleeping bag to make it warmer. Get the pants also and you will keep you legs warm also, and combined they can be used as a sleeping. Together it will only cost about 600 SEK and worth every penny a cold day.

varmejacka90-low.jpg

varmebyxa90-low.jpg

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I think I made a mistake when I wrote M60 I have the one Viking you put up on your pictures. But I didnt get the trousers anymore they where sold out.
I like the jacket but was disapointed about the sipper it only broke after a single winter using the jacket every day. Is your sipper from plast?

cheers
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe Osram said:
I think I made a mistake when I wrote M60 I have the one Viking you put up on your pictures. But I didnt get the trousers anymore they where sold out.
I like the jacket but was disapointed about the sipper it only broke after a single winter using the jacket every day. Is your sipper from plast?

cheers
Abbe

Don´t know, never heard of any that got broken before...

If you want the pants I can probably get you a pair, probably going to get a pair for another guy.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
Don´t know, never heard of any that got broken before...

If you want the pants I can probably get you a pair, probably going to get a pair for another guy.

that would be nice! What kind of info do you need from me size, weight the way to pay you etc.

cheers
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe Osram said:
that would be nice! What kind of info do you need from me size, weight the way to pay you etc.

cheers
Abbe

Weight and length, money and payment we can take later when it´s time for the order. Will probably have to make a order when I get back from england in the beginning of september. Last order weighed 19 kg so I guess it will be something like next time too :D

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I've been looking for something like this to wear when lurking around photographing wildlife - (lots of waiting motionless) - Do you know of any UK / online suppliers? - i've tried a search, but can't find a site in english! :eek:

regards

Steve

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Graham_S said:
you could always get a cheap cotton smock an put it over a fleece to combat the spark problem.

That's what I was thinking.... around the fire I use the very baggy Swedish army "wind blouse" cotton smock over a Buffalo Special 6 or even a down jacket.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just bought the ultimate bushcraft trousers for a damp / cold uk. :) Vintage but unissued Swedish army wool worsted trousers.
http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/10031.html
I'll remove the ankle cuffs and straps and wash them in cold soapy water to remove the moth proofing before I wear them, but they are virtually bomb proof. Warm, breathable, showerproof, thornproof, and spark & cinder proof too in a muted grey brown colour.
I had a pair of these over twenty years ago and they were comfortable & utterly indestructable. A friend 'borrowed' them and then took off to live in Canada. :(

Service from Facts surplus couldn't have been better. Very helpful and fast too.
Cheers,
Toddy

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Toddy said:
I've just bought the ultimate bushcraft trousers for a damp / cold uk. :) Vintage but unissued Swedish army wool worsted trousers.
I'll remove the ankle cuffs and straps and wash them in cold soapy water to remove the moth proofing before I wear them, but they are virtually bomb proof. Warm, breathable, showerproof, thornproof, and spark & cinder proof too in a muted grey brown colour.
I had a pair of these over twenty years ago and they were comfortable & utterly indestructable. A friend 'borrowed' them and then took off to live in Canada. :(

Service from Facts surplus couldn't have been better. Very helpful and fast too.
Cheers,
Toddy

Also known as the M/58 winter trouser ;)
I have heard of people laying in the snow with these trousers on and still be warm. Why remove the ankle cuffs?
They are perfect when the snow comes, no need for gaiters when using them.
If you are lucky you can get these trousers very cheap here in sweden.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:

Cheers,
Toddy

I have the same trousers and they are great. I like the ankle cuffs why would you cut them off, its much nicer to go in and out of my boots?
cheers
Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: 'Cos I'm only 157cms (5' 3") tall, and they're too long. :rolleyes: :)
Mostly just to help make them a little more inconspicuous, though if I were wearing them where you two do I'd leave the straps on and find some other way of shortening them a little. Excellent trousers; wish I'd thought of asking you about them earlier.
What sort of jacket was worn with them?

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE