A light woolly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The weather's improving and so the time has come to wash and store the heftier weight woolly tops. But it is still chilly in the evenings. What to wear? Well, I have now turned my back on synthetic fleece: it feels clammy and cling-y, can be bulky to pack, is not great near fire. Up until now, I hadn't been able to find a lightweight woolly top that would do for time outside or in the woods generally.

Dangerously, I noticed this on the Bison Bushcraft website:

and so I ordered one.

I have used it every evening for about a week, sleeping in the field with my sheep, as a deterrent to the fox that has killed and taken two of my lambs, and it is utterly brilliant. Light in weight, very soft and perfectly warm, I'd say it was ideal. I haven't tried it with a top layer as the weather has been too clement but will do so as soon as things turn.

I just thought I'd mention it because it's a great, British-made product but it's also a limited run - once they've used up the cloth, that's it.

I have absolutely no association with Bison or the product - I am simply an extremely happy customer, who hasn't lost any more lambs to the red dog.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Ones going to California. Coyotes kept me up all night. I finally played a recording of WOLF howls. They shut up. If you could source urine or scat from a alpha predator , scatter it around your herds perimeter. Foxes will take a hike.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Ones going to California. Coyotes kept me up all night. I finally played a recording of WOLF howls. They shut up. If you could source urine or scat from a alpha predator , scatter it around your herds perimeter. Foxes will take a hike.
I managed to obtain some tiger poo many years ago to deter foxes from eating my hens. It worked a treat but boy, did it stink! The problem is the size of the field where the sheep live and the difficulty in obtaining 'scented warnings' locally. I have put what is dubbed 'Scandinavian ointment' on the lambs which is said to put off any predators - successfully, as it turns out - though it does confuse the mums a bit. Still, at least they're alive and growing.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Reactions: gg012

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
That is some lovely stuff. Great recommendations both. I especially like the Hillary jumper.

I went cheaper and picked up a USGI 5 button issue sweater. Great fit and I won't cry if I spill soup on it.

Not my photo but you get the gist. Thin, neutral colour with a bit of ventilation. High collar at the back of your neck is nice as well.

image_33442f15-ee82-4cc4-97f8-9194994492c2_1080x.jpg

Reactions: gg012

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a nice lambswool sweater I picked up in a charity shop for a few quid. Blu/green heather mix ... but the cable knit may not be the look everyone wants :)

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE